Panthers to the front!

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

book lover
Supporter

Panthers to the front!

Post by book lover »

Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Re: Panthers to the front!

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Quite interesting...I./Pz.Rgt. 'Brandenburg' never fought with the division, but stayed with the Pz.Gren.Div. 'Kurmark'...

:[]

Jan-Hendrik
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

This is a new edition of the project that Axis Europa released a few years ago as two small paperbacks. Helion acquired the rights and are releasing a nice, hardcover, one-volume version.
Stephan H.
Contributor

Post by Stephan H. »

Jan-Hendrik wrote:I./Pz.Rgt. 'Brandenburg' never fought with the division, but stayed with the Pz.Gren.Div. 'Kurmark
Jan-Hendrik - Quite right. But, there was indeed a Pz.Rgt.'Brandenburg' assigned to the division. Sometime in April it became a regiment size Kampfgruppe Wietersheim, though I'm still looking to confirm when this actually took place.
Marc Rikmenspoel wrote:This is a new edition of the project that Axis Europa released a few years ago as two small paperbacks. Helion acquired the rights and are releasing a nice, hardcover, one-volume version.
Marc - Indeed it is. I plan to include an overview of Pz.Korps 'Grossdeutschland' operations during the Soviet Vistula-Oder Offensive, and the Grossangriff of 16 April in the Introduction to provide more context to Bodenmüller's account than was included in the original two volume set. There may also be some substantial new information about the division's operations included in the reprint, but I'm still in the process of pursuing that information.

Cheers
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Well, but the Panthers of PR 'Brandenburg' never fought with the BR Division :wink:

I know the parts of this memory regarding the battles in the Lausitz region, and clearly all of our experts claimed it to be much dubious! :evil:

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
Stephan H.
Contributor

Post by Stephan H. »

For those who are interested in this book, the publication date will be pushed out, but for good reason.

Instead of reprinting Bodenmüller’s original account, it will be added to a new divisional history of ‘Brandenburg’ during the period October 1944-May 1945 with a focus on the fighting in Poland, Silesia, and southern Germany. The book is tentatively titled Panzergrenadier-Division ‘Brandenburg’ to the Front: The Final Endkampf Battles, January-May 1945.

It will contain a complete translation of the available divisional KTB (300+ pages!) from January-May 1945 to include some unpublished (to my knowledge) first person accounts from several division members. Bodenmüller’s account will be included, spliced into each day’s events, though as pointed out above, Bodenmüller belonged to subunit of Pz.Rgt. 'Brandenburg' that was not subordinated to Pz.Gren.Div. 'Kurmark' with its parent unit, thus the title of Bodenmüller's account is slightly mis-leading.

I also plan to include information and photos for the nine KC Winners, and other divisional personalities, along with detailed tactical maps.

Cheers,
Stephan
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

That sounds great! Can't wait to get it.
Klaus Richter
Harry64

Post by Harry64 »

Stephan
then please check the memories of Bodenmüller careful with the entries in the war diary, maybe there are some larger deviations, because he had some entries so may not have occurred.

Harry
Stephan H.
Contributor

Post by Stephan H. »

Harry,

I plan to cross-check his account. I have already noted a few daily entries that do not seem to match the KTB (though, admittedly I have only given the KTB a cursory examination at this point). I’ll make sure I point out any inconsistencies in the final book.
Interestingly, I have not found ANY mention (yet) in the KTB of Pz.Rgt. ‘Brandenburg’. I’ll be spending a lot of time trying to unravel what unit Bodenmüller actually was assigned to and how it was associated with the division.

Cheers,
Stephan