The French who fought for hitler by CARRARD

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

book lover
Supporter

The French who fought for hitler by CARRARD

Post by book lover »

Has anybody read this book?Is it worth buying?Does it add anything new to the French SS story??

http://www.amazon.com/French-Who-Fought ... =8-1-fkmr2
Blix

Re: The French who fought for hitler by CARRARD

Post by Blix »

Hi!

I've read it. It's just an analysis of the memoirs written by French volunteers, from the literary point of view. Author thinks about the methods with the help of which French veterans of the Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS are trying to persuade their reader in some facts, for example, using an "I-was-there" narrative style. Carrard asks if their words can be trusted in terms of historical accuracy? Where is that border between personal point of view of the author, "from his eyes", and his (author's) pretension to be "true" in the sence of history?

I think the book doesn't bring anything new, if you mean some historical\scientific research in archives, etc. If you read all the memoirs from the French volunteers (including the last one's, 2009-2010 y. of publishing), I think there is nothing new for you. It's just his (Carrard's) way of thinking on a literary legacy left by volunteers. Still it's a good reading, though we don't have any other books of this kind (analysis of memoirs).

Sorry if my thoughts on that book messed you up. This work is a bit an ambiguous piece.