New Book - Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kampfflieger - Volume 1

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

hucks216
Contributor

New Book - Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kampfflieger - Volume 1

Post by hucks216 »

Just thought I'd highlight the release of this dual German/English language book in case people were unaware of it...
KG RKT.jpg
KG RKT.jpg (15.54 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
http://www.luftfahrtverlag-start.de/EHo ... iegerBand1

My copy of Volume 1 arrived yesterday and my first impression is that it is a very good publication. It uses as its foundation the research that Ernst Obermaier had obtained for his intended publication on this subject matter to compliment his previous books on Jagd & Stuka/Schlachtflieger RKTs but due to his death in 1997 wasn't able to finish. In addition to this the author has conducted 10 years worth of further research to produce this book, one that fills a void. The basic format is that Swords & Oakleaf winners get a page to themselves while those who 'only' won the RK are 2 to a page. The information given is the Date & Place Of Birth & Death, the recipients final rank, the dates he was awarded the various grades of the RK as well as the Ehrenpokal & DKiG with the rank held at the time followed by a biographical section which includes, where known, the total of sorties flown - one piece of information I didn't know was that missions that lasted for 4 hours or more counted double.
One page contains the German language portion while the same area on the opposite page contains the English translation which has the added bonus that it has been possible to add extra photographs rather then just sticking to a portrait photo next to each header.
The book is bigger than I thought it would be and the paper used is excellent quality, as are the images.

I would recommend this publication strongly to anyone who has an interest in the men who won the high awards of the Luftwaffe. I look forward to Volume 2