Devil's Guard, the real story

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

joefraser
Supporter

Devil's Guard, the real story

Post by joefraser »

Explodes the myths about nazis in Vietnam and tells it as it was! Devil's Guard by Eric Meyer.
Had this bought for me at Xmas. Great I thought, someone has done some research and put together a factual book about any Germans in the Foreign Legion. No, big mistake! Just another story in the mould of George Robert Ellford, but not as long.
One to ignore, in my opinion, unless you want something to read by the pool on holiday.
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Re: Devil's Guard, the real story

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Too bad, I too thought maybe it was a look behind the fiction of Elford, getting at the true story.
joefraser
Supporter

Post by joefraser »

On reflection, the book does have a little detail about the weapons used, which may be a little factual. It states that the legionaires in the book were equipped with German weapons left over from WW2, Kar98s, Mp38 and 40s, MG 42s and that some units had Kubelwagons ( though it does say that willys jeeps were prefered due to the 4 wheel drive ). I know that the French army had Panthers for a time after the war, did they use other german weapons and, more to the point, would the FFL have used ex German weaponry?
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

joefraser wrote:... some units had Kubelwagons ( though it does say that willys jeeps were prefered due to the 4 wheel drive ). ...
That's interesting as on a thread on another forum (axis history?) some have argued that the Kubelwagon was superior to the jeep. The fact that German troops thought differently is a pretty telling counter.