In Final Defense of the Reich: The Destruction of the 6th SS

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Franz Repper
Supporter

Re: In Final Defense of the Reich: The Destruction of the 6th SS

Post by Franz Repper »

Panzermann thanks for that I have not looked through the list fully to find out numbers of volunteers from each country that went missing
Denn jedem Kämpfer gibt ein Gott den Kameraden bei
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Franz

Thanks, could you list down the number of foreign volunteers in the Nord Division from the list you had mentioned?

Panzermahn
Franz Repper
Supporter

Post by Franz Repper »

Shure will take a little time as I will have to go through the book slowly here is a block of text sorry in German that gives a name of a solider from the Ukraine
Aber noch sollte das Blutvergießen nicht zu Ende sein Die Gruppe ,die den Auftrag hatte ,die weit verstreuten Waffen der toten Russen einzusammeln, erhielt plötzlich Feuer. Dabei wurde der gruppenführer ,Uscha.Burgdorf, Sohn eines Wehmacntsgenerals, getötet .Die von unserem Zug zusammengestellte Verstärkung hatte nun die undankbare Aufgabe , den Auftrag zu Ende zu führen und nach noch lebenden Gefangenen zu sehen. Bei diesem Auftrag zeichnete sich unser volksdeutscher Kamerad Schappert aus der Ukraine, den übrigens die ganze Abeilung als Original kannte, mit seinen russischen Sprachkenntnissen besonders aus .Er schrie in das Knäuel von Menschen hinein, die da im Schnee lagen, und ich wunderte mich, wieviele von ihnen noch am Leben waren und sich erhoben .Am Abend hatten wir 25 Iwans als Gefangene beisammen, wozu noch über hundret Gefallene kamen
Denn jedem Kämpfer gibt ein Gott den Kameraden bei
Die Blechtrommel
Supporter

Post by Die Blechtrommel »

Franz Repper wrote:I found in the Nord Missing list that SS -Ustuf Erik Somersalo born Finland 3.4.20 Missing Salla 7.41 with a photo of him in Finnish coastal Navy uniform . Its very interesting as their is a lot of foreign volunteers listed there is a Lithuanian listed as missing 0n the 12.44 SS Rot Karl Mischkus also found are volunteers from Jugoslavia , Romainia ,Hungary and polish
Very interesting! Could that be the "finnisher Kommando" sent from the Finnish SS-contingent in Germany to Lapland to help in canooned far-range patrol? :?
I know that this patrol attacked the Murmask-railroad, and the casualities were heavy, compared with patrols the Finns made on their own.

With best
Juha-Pekka :beer:
“Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch !!“
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Finnish volunteer Kuvitus Henriksson in the SS Nord Division

from the Reibert Forum
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

This discussion has really gone off topic following Tom Houlihan's excellent review which contained no mention of Finns. If people want to talk about Finns in the "Nord" Division there is a much more appropriate forum called Foreign Volunteers.

John
Massimiliano Afiero
Contributor

Post by Massimiliano Afiero »

I have received the book in this days, is an excellent work. There is only a little photographic appendix...

Waffen
Björn
Supporter

Post by Björn »

Hello all!

This book indeed seems like a "must have"-one. The division itself is, in my humble opinion, one of the more interesting SS ones - even if they operated in an easy-to-forget area most of the time.

I am especially curious about this publication, as mr Moore and mr Houlihan seems so convinced. It would be great to get Marcs verdict on the book as well.

As for John P. Moores comment about the topic drifting off .- yes it is. There were several nationalities in that division, but should be discussed in a separate thread - if needed.

B.
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

I don't have a copy yet, but I expect to get one sooner or later. It's definitely on my radar for eventual purchase, but I'm focusing on books related to the Germanic Waffen-SS for the moment.