In Final Defense of the Reich: The Destruction of the 6th SS

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

panzermahn
Associate

In Final Defense of the Reich: The Destruction of the 6th SS

Post by panzermahn »

I think Tom Houlihan would get this one :)

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Defense-Rei ... y_b_text_c

Naval Institute Press (October 2010)
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Re: In Final Defense of the Reich: The Destruction of the 6th SS

Post by Tom Houlihan »

It's out?!?!?

I knowed it was a-comin'!!!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Not yet, October 2010.

By the way, I am not sure if the 6th SS Nord was destroyed. If I am not mistaken, forum member Arminius Cherusker mentioned that it was disbanded and the members of the unit was discharged and told to go home
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Read the book.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Rotanhäntäpistin
Supporter

Post by Rotanhäntäpistin »

Tom, I presume you know this Rusiecki fellow?
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I've chatted with him a few times. He's much better connected with Nord as far as research. He started this work when he was stationed in Germany quite some time ago.

I got a chance to review his original MS, but I didn't get to do that maps.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Bittrich
Contributor

Post by Bittrich »

It does look like an interesting book. I don't have too much information on the 6th SS.
To those who fought reguardless of nationality
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

Tom, since you reviewed the manuscript I was wondering if this book has any first person accounts from Nord along with the general unit history. I've been looking for a while for a good history of this division in English and have had no luck, so I'm very curious about this book. Thanks.
Klaus Richter
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Not much, Klaus, as I recall. Then again, it's been some time since I read it. I recall some quotes and comments, but nothing like Black Edelweiss.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Roy

Post by Roy »

I've just placed an order for this book, and am looking forward to reading it! Other than "Black Edelweiss" and "Seven Days In January" it seems that anything else printed in English on the 6th SS Nord Division is tough to find.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

I just finished reading the book yesterday and felt it was the best written military book that I had read since Doug Nash’s “Victory Was Beyond Their Grasp”. It was exceptionally well researched. I had previously visited most of the battlefields described in the book so it was easy to relate to the geography. The author gave a brief history of the “Nord” before devoting considerable detail to the Nord’s combat experiences late in 1944 and early 1945 during the fighting along the French-German border area. The author provided a balanced reporting between the “Nord” and its opponents in 1945, various US Army divisions. Plenty of first-person reports from US soldiers as well as “Nord” vets and German civilians. What troubled me deeply about this book was how the Nord’s division commander, Karl Brenner, continued to fight on after mid-March 1945 following the retreat of the division across the Rhine. The author does a superb job in detailing the significant casualties suffered by both the US and German troops, the German civilian population and loss of property in what amounted to a futile retrograde operation by the Germans.
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi John

Thanks for the short review. This book is on my wishlist too though I am not exactly into the Westfront. But judging what you have mentioned as well having Doug Nash's Hell's Gate, I must say I am really tempted to get it :wink:

Just a short question. Did forum member Armenius Cherusker was also involved in the book? If I am not mistaken he is a former member of the SS Nord division in 1945.

Thanks
Panzermahn
Roy

Post by Roy »

Thanks for the review, John! :up: I really enjoyed Mr. Nash's "Victory Was Beyond Their Grasp" so this should be a good one!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

IN FINAL DEFENSE OF THE REICH: The Destruction of the 6th SS Mountain Division “Nord”
Stephen M. Rusiecki
Naval Institute Press (2010)
ISBN: 978-1-59114-744-2

This is an excellent book, on several levels. Not only did Rusiecki conduct meticulous research, but he wrote this tale very well.

The first three chapters introduce the reader to the 6th SS Mountain Division, describing some of the key members, and its history from the beginning of the war up until spring of 1945. As the reader gets closer to March, more detail is provided to better acquaint the reader with what is going on. The third chapter also introduces the units that are going to factor into NORD’S demise, along with their leaders. It is in this chapter that NORD begins to come apart.

From the fourth chapter onward, the reader spends a good bit of time in various headquarters, German and American, from company level all the way up to corps. By making good use of records kept, the author is able to recreate the confusion, tension, excitement and trepidation in the various commands. It is here that the reader begins to understand how in fact NORD was able to function coherently as long as it did.

By pure coincidence, when Gruppenführer Brenner’s division fell back through the Palatinate, it happened to travel right along the boundary between two corps. Normally, this would be a good place to be, as coordination of sub-units along a boundary like this can be difficult in good times. In running combat, as the corps drive into the enemy’s heartland, it gets even more confusing. Rusiecki has done a fantastic job showing not only the difficulties inherent in an operation like this, but clearly illustrating how the various units were able to work together in harmony to crush NORD.

At the same time, the author’s relationship with several veterans of NORD holds him in good stead as he is able to describe the German side of the battle all the way from the division headquarters, through the two elements of the division that separated in order to improve their chances of escape, down to the lowest rifleman. We are able to follow generals, colonels, lieutenants and privates as they slog their way through a cold, drizzly, miserable battle.

One of the good things about this work is its objectivity. Sadly, too many of the books on WWII, especially those that deal with the SS, are somewhat polarized. One side is often portrayed heroically, while the other is derided at every turn. Here, no one is demonized. Honor and courage are shown on both sides, as is fear and treachery. Nothing is held back. I expect that some will chastise Rusiecki for not showing the NORD men as slathering butchers. I would point out that NORD is probably the only division in the Waffen-SS that has been cleared of all allegations of war crimes. Two of those allegations are dealt with in this book.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in any of the divisions involved, the Waffen-SS, the end of the war, or the war in general. It is informative, engaging, and a damned good read.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Tom

That's an excellent review of the book!

Panzermahn