Estonian Vikings- need review

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

charlie don't surf
Associate

Estonian Vikings- need review

Post by charlie don't surf »

Can anyone provide a review of ESTONIAN VIKINGS; ESTNISCHES SS-FREIWILLIGEN BATAILLON NARWA AND SUBSEQUENT from Shelf Books?

Best regards/ Daniel
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

It is a nice, though short, collection of photos. The text is largely based on the Narwa Bataillon sections of Estonian Freedom Fighters in WW2, while almost all the photos have already been published in the three volume history of the Narwa Bataillon published by the veterans in Estonia. However, I'm probably one of the only people outside of Estonia to own a set of that history, so the photos should be new to most readers, even if the text isn't. The photos themselves are most portraits, with a few training photos, but no "action" shots.
charlie don't surf
Associate

Hi Marc, that sounds good. I'm thinking about ordering it, shall I take your words as a recommendation?

Best regards/ Daniel
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Daniel, the book is well worth getting if the somewhat obscure topic interests you (and it certainly interests me), but I have seen the prices for it vary. I think paying more than the equivalent of around $22 US is too much, because it is a very slender paperback volume.
charlie don't surf
Associate

I see. Thank you for taking time to answer my questions Marc, I really appreciate it.

Best regards/ Daniel
estonian
Supporter

Post by estonian »

Estonian Wiking