A couple of excellent imminent Ostfront books

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Richard Hargreaves
Author

A couple of excellent imminent Ostfront books

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

From the Oldenbourg stable (who are always produce first-rate, if rather academic works)...

http://www.oldenbourg-wissenschaftsverl ... 1674430.de

The second looks like a collection of journal articles by various scholars (the Hürter article on Heinrici definitely appeared in VfZ because I've got a copy...)

http://www.oldenbourg-wissenschaftsverl ... 1680257.de

Time to raid the savings again... if I had any... :[]
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Michate
Contributor

Re: A couple of excellent imminent Ostfront books

Post by Michate »

As to the author of the first book, C. Hartmann has also published acouple of excellent articles in the VfZ, which can be downloaded for free.
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Any chances of these two Ostfront books being translated into English?
michalst
Supporter

Post by michalst »

As to the author of the first book, C. Hartmann has also published acouple of excellent articles in the VfZ, which can be downloaded for free.
where? could you share a link or two with us?
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

A goldmine!!! Thanks a lot!
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

My favourites:

2000/2 (Heinrici papers :D )
2001/3 (Leningrad 1941)

although there are so many nuggets. If only Militärische Mitteilungen would do the same... :[]
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

I took a fast look and searched for the NSKK. I did found the Seidler article, got that one on paper already :wink: .
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Well, I now have Hartmann's Wehrmacht im Ostkrieg (I could only afford one of the two :() Good job I bought a good one then. :D

Firstly, it's not a comprehensive account of the 1941 campaign. It is an overview of the actions of five divisions - 4 Pz, 45 ID, 296 ID, 221 Sicherung, Korück 580 - both at the front and in the rear, making excellent use of official documents as well as personal papers, mainly at BA-MA, but also at IfZ. Enormous bibliography at the end too.

I can't see it being translated into English, unless by an academic press at a very high price, but if it is, it will be one of the bedrock studies of Barbarossa. :[]
andrus
Supporter

Post by andrus »

It is an overview of the actions of five divisions - 4 Pz, 45 ID, 296 ID, 221 Sicherung, Korück 580
how does he substantiate selection of units?
Now I see hole in his selection - Heeresgruppe Nord area is not covered and for Süd there is only 1 unit which after few months went to Mitte too.
Michate
Contributor

Post by Michate »

how does he substantiate selection of units?
Have not seen the book yet, but in the original project description ("Wehrmacht in der nationalzozialistischen Diktatur", which can be found somewhere on the net) it was stated that the selection of units of different combat capability and also "prestige" (ranging from high value Panzerdivision via First-Wave and Higher Wave infantry division to security and occupation force) should allow a look which kind of units were involved in which kinds of actions, including war crimes.
vkun
Supporter

Post by vkun »

Here you can find the table of contents and the "prolog", a summary of the aftermath of a court martial against 2 privates of 4. PzDiv, who were sentenced to death after murdering a russian. GenOberst Schmidt, CG 2. PzArmee, confirmed the sentence, but 4. PzDiv Ia, OTL iG Heidkämper tried to save the soldiers writing letters to Schmidt reasoning why they acted the way they did - and so disclosing his already corrupted ethics - and that of 4. PzDiv leaders.

http://www.oldenbourg-wissenschaftsverl ... 1674430.de
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Two privates convicted of killing a Russian civilian? Assuming it was in fact murder, I find this to be a little glimmer of light in a dark landscape. Just because everyone else's standards have been jaded doesn't mean one must necessarily join the pack.

vKun - Why are you condeming 4 pz Div leadership? My own first thought was perhaps there were extenuating circumstances and the officer was doing his duty in representing his soldiers. It's easy enough to shoot civilians by accident and sans details I don't feel qualified to judge. However you spoke as if you might know more - if so, if its no trouble, please share.

cheers
Reb
vkun
Supporter

Post by vkun »

I don't condemn anybody; I was just summarizing the Prolog of the book. Hartmann does not base his assessment on the murder of the civilian by the 2 privates but on the reasoning of Heidkämper - for example citing Division orders how to deal with civilians and so forth - sorry, I am not in the mood to translate 10 pages or so...
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

German military discipline was often very harsh and strict. Looting was officially not tolerated, and Werner Volkner gives an example of this in his memoir Many Rivers I Crossed. Granted, this was in Romania, but in 1944 he was delivering a message through a deserted area. He passed a house, and stopped to look inside. He found clean underwear, and so put some on, leaving his own behind. The owner of the house later returned, and complained to the German Field Police. They tracked down Volkner, and interrogated him. He admitted to taking the underwear, but pointed out that he had left his own on the scene. When this was confirmed, he was released, as an exchange was okay, but if had not left his own in the house, he would have been arrested for looting.