Any good Fallschirmjäger histories in English?

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

richard hedrick
Supporter

Any good Fallschirmjäger histories in English?

Post by richard hedrick »

Any good histories for the divisions that fought in the west? Most importantly the 3rd and 5th.

I could also make due with a decent compendium of all the Fallschirmjäger divisions.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Richard
panzermahn
Associate

Re: Any good Fallschirmjäger histories in English?

Post by panzermahn »

I think Eric Queen's The Red Shines the Sun is one of the most authoritative books on Fallschirmjaeger. Osprey Series on Fallschirmjaeger is a good start too.

Munin-Verlag's Fallschirmjaeger Im Bild is a must for those who enjoy Fallschirmjaeger photos.

However, I am not sure if much has been covered about Fallschirmjaeger during the Endkampf. I would love to see a book on the final battles of Fallschirmjaeger
laurence strong
Supporter

Post by laurence strong »

Stroming eagles by james Lucas. Covers a little of everything including an over view of the war years.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

There's a few from the Schiffer stable from memory, but I've not read them. I flicked through German Paratroops in Scandinavia a couple of months ago and thought it looked very good, but the price in the UK (nearly £40 for an ordinary-sized volume under 200 pages) was just too steep unfortunately.

Personally, you can't got far wrong with the official histories by Galla and Stimpel (which I think runs to four volumes), but they're all in German. Of the two authors, I much prefer Stimpel as his books have a bit of the human nature to them.

I think pretty much everything on the FSJ in the Endkampf is in German, e.g. Stimpel's Widersinn 1945 :[] .
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

I think pretty much everything on the FSJ in the Endkampf is in German, e.g. Stimpel's Widersinn 1945
Well, I don't think Widersinn is sooo well :wink: At least, if you compare it with the Volume by Wagner on 9.FjDiv. :)

Happy enough I was lucky to get some reports of forme LW-Soldiers on the battle in the Area of Berlin from a private Archive, never published :D :D

:[]

Jan-Hendrik
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Ah, I've not read Widersinn - it just sits on my bookshelf. I bought it because I liked Stimpel's other FSJ books. Sorry to hear that it is Widersinn... :(

Wagner's book sounds interesting. Another one to add to my ever-growing Wunschzettel... :D
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

I felt so free to send you some example pages from the Wagner I once scanned for someone at AHF :wink:

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Danke, wie immer! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
richard hedrick
Supporter

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback; I will take a look at the suggestions.

I am less concerned of the way of the Fallschirmjäger than I am about unit histories (basically a chronology of locations and actions) and was hoping to find something similar to Muñozs’ Gorings Grenadiers. I thought given the popularity of the topic this would have been easy to accomplish but have found this not to be the case.

Thanks again,
Richard
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Anyone knew any good histories on just Heer Fallschirmjaeger units (including Brandenburger fallschirmjaegers?)..I know Eric Queen's did talked about Heer Fallschirmjaegers but it seems that most English language literature of German fallschirmjaegers emphasized mostly those from Luftwaffe units

I recalled that there are some discussions in a couple of militaria forums mentioned about Luftwaffe Fallschirmjaegers wearing Army smock pattern and were awarded Heer pattern Fallschirmjaeger badge
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

A good introductory book in English is Green Devils! - German Paratroopers 1939-1945, by Jean-Yves Nasse. It is published by Histoire & Collections, and is well translated from the original French. The book is full of rare photos and personal accounts while covering every campaign in which FJ participated.

The book was released in 1997, so I'm unsure of its current availability and price, but it is the one title I'd most recommend for readers in English.
richard hedrick
Supporter

thanks Marc, i will look it up.

Richard