"Tiger" by Rüdiger Warnick and Stephan Cazenave

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Charles Trang
Supporter

"Tiger" by Rüdiger Warnick and Stephan Cazenave

Post by Charles Trang »

This is Heimdal's latest production : a 496 page book on the Tigers of Das Reich and of s.SS-Pz.Abt.102/502. It is the same subject as Schneider's but a lot better, more accurate, more documented : there are hundreds (!) of previously unpublished photos and countless accounts by former members of the company/battalion. Among them, I would pick out a portrait of Anton Laackmann (this man had never been seen before, I mean in the numerous publications relative to the Waffen-SS) and tens of pictures showing Alois Kalss. The book is published in two versions : one in french and one in german.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Re: "Tiger" by Rüdiger Warnick and Stephan Cazenave

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Among them, I would pick out a portrait of Anton Laackmann (this man had never been seen before, I mean in the numerous publications relative to the Waffen-SS)
Schneider's "Tiger der Division DAS Reich" already contained one, dear Charles :wink:

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
michael kenny
Associate

Post by michael kenny »

For Normandy the book relies heavily on the diary of 2nd kp SS 102. In fact nearly every book written that deals with 102's Normandy exploits seems to be based on this document. I have not yet had time to read (and translate!) the book but I am sad to see the claim that Will Fey destroyed 15 Shermans in one day on 7/8/44 is again taken at face value.
In Schneider's ' Das Reich Tigers' book there is a section dealing with Paul Egger's award documentation. Point 11 clearly identifies Egger as the other Tiger Fey says was with him that day. There the total for the 2 Tigers is given as 18 tanks 3 A/T guns and 5 vehicles. It is indeed a pity that there were no corresponding tank losses in the UK Armoured Regiments in action that day. The best match is this from the War Diary of The Fife And Forfar Yeomanry:

August 7th.

Owing to their losses in tanks A and C Sqns.were amalgamated under Major J.D.Hutchinson, Major J.E.F. Miller recieving an injury to his foot the previous day
There was again an attempt by the enemy to come in from the west. This was effectively dealt with by A Sqn., who destroyed 2 Mk IV's which had come near to them.
Meanwhile a number of Tiger tanks had established themselves on the high ground on our eastern flank at Le Haut Periere( M.R. 7233) and were able to engage A Sqn. from the rear at a range of about 2500 yds. These Tigers quickly caused A Sqn. 5 tank casualties.
Major Gilmore then went forward with a troop of B Sqn.to try and engage these tanks and succeeded in knocking out one of them.

As Fey confirms his Tiger was indeed heavily damaged and had to be towed out.
Uncle Joe
Enthusiast

Post by Uncle Joe »

Charles Trang wrote:This is Heimdal's latest production : a 496 page book on the Tigers of Das Reich and of s.SS-Pz.Abt.102/502. It is the same subject as Schneider's but a lot better, more accurate, more documented : there are hundreds (!) of previously unpublished photos and countless accounts by former members of the company/battalion. Among them, I would pick out a portrait of Anton Laackmann (this man had never been seen before, I mean in the numerous publications relative to the Waffen-SS) and tens of pictures showing Alois Kalss. The book is published in two versions : one in french and one in german.
And where is the English edition? As long as it is in krautisch and froggish, simply no competition against JJF´s Das Reich Tigers. And after plodding through the atrociously edited (more typos than in the worst Schiffer I have seen) and laid out (e.g. coloured pages like in some children´s books) Götz von Berlichingen books a week ago my respect for Heimdal has plummeted.
Charles Trang
Supporter

Post by Charles Trang »

As I am not the author, I do not know if an english version is planned. However, the error made with GvB has not been repeated this time and the layout is really excellent (in fact much better than the one from my "Leibstandarte" series). Moreover, the bilingual concept has been abandonned and there are now two different versions proposed (krautisch and froggish as you mentionned).
Gastolli

Post by Gastolli »

The authors both are relatives of former members of this unit, so that's the reason you have an german (off course) and an french edition.

And in my opinion it's very good, really better than Schneider's, you also have a lot of names of members of this unit, including those of the loaders, drivers etc.

Oliver
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

I found a listing for this book on Amazon with a good discount. It won't be available until September.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url ... &x=18&y=19

Further searching turned up this announcement by Casemate that only mentions a French version.

http://www.casematepublishing.com/cgi/t ... 2840482451

I would opt for the German-language version if I could find it anywhere.

When people announce new books it would be nice if they would make the extra effort to post links to Web sites where a detailed description of the book can be found and where it can be ordered

John
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Good morning, John :D

Zinnfigur has it :wink:

:[]

Jan-Hendrik
Charles Trang
Supporter

Post by Charles Trang »

Sorry John for not giving any detail about where it can be ordered. I had my copy via Heimdal and the german version can be ordered directly to them.
Concerning the Laackmann's photo in Schneider's book, I have found it (page 188 of the JFF Edition). The caption reads : "SS-Stubaf. Anton Laackmann among officers of the newly formed battalion at the Wezep training area in March 1944". This is a bit vague. In fact, these officers have since been identified. From left to right : Ustuf. Beck, Ustuf. Schaubinger, Ustuf. Schinhofen, Ustuf. Nielsen, Ostuf. Fischer, Ustuf. Klust, Hirsch, Ustuf. Schwab. So no Laackmann among them ...
pimberg
Supporter

Post by pimberg »

I think the book is good. Well written and overall good photos. There is a very great photo of Albin v. Reitzenstein I have never seen before.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Peter,

Can you please go into a little more detail about what you found in the text? Is there a table of unit officers? Also, where did you order your copy from? This sounds like a book that I would want to purchase.

john
pimberg
Supporter

Post by pimberg »

Hi John,

I'll start by mentioning that the book thanks your goodself (Herr J.P.Moore) in the acknowledgements. There is a short Foreword by a former Panzerfunker of the Abteilung and then the two authors provide their Foreword - which is well done. Rüdiger Warnick provides a small wedding photo of his grandfather in Panzeruniform in the Foreword.

The book then has 4 pages of the technical features (including diagrams) of the Tiger 1 & 2. The next 10 chapters detail the formation of the Das Reich schweren Panzerkompanie, the schweren SS-Panzerabt. 102 to the final battles of s.SS-Panzer-Abt 502. As can be expected there are very few pictures of the later phases of he war. Chapter 12 comprises 4 pages of pictures of documents and a group photo taken of about 50 of the veterans after the war outside Willi Fey's Cafe.

The book contains excellent information on the names of the men and commanders of the Tigerkompanie during Zitadelle, before Normandy, etc. It is very well written and the picture material of the various personalities and soldiers of the unit is also good. The final chapter, only a one pager, discusses the controversy around the Ritterkreuz awards to Egger and Hartrampf.

Overall I highly recommend the book. On the same day I received the book from a friend in Germany I stupidly also bought the latest Anthony Beevor book about D-Day Normandy. Comparing the two was like chalk and cheese. Although three times expensive the "Tiger!" book is 10 times better.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Peter,

Thanks for that excellent description. Were the photos mostly new and how would you judge the appearance of the photos in the book?

John
pimberg
Supporter

Post by pimberg »

John,

In my opinion about 50% of the photos were new or were photos that weren't cropped as they were in previous books (eg: photos of Hartrampf and photos of Kalls). As with most Heimdal books the photos of various people are repeated again and again as very small portrait shots. A number of photos are relatively poor quality. But this is a "problem" all publishers seem to have now a days and certainly not unique to Heimdal.

I'm impressed with the book and I'm no Tiger Tank "groupie". In that I mean there are too many books on the Tiger already compared to so many more subjects that deserve coverage.

Peter
Charles Trang
Supporter

Post by Charles Trang »

michael kenny wrote:For Normandy the book relies heavily on the diary of 2nd kp SS 102. In fact nearly every book written that deals with 102's Normandy exploits seems to be based on this document. I have not yet had time to read (and translate!) the book but I am sad to see the claim that Will Fey destroyed 15 Shermans in one day on 7/8/44 is again taken at face value.
In Schneider's ' Das Reich Tigers' book there is a section dealing with Paul Egger's award documentation. Point 11 clearly identifies Egger as the other Tiger Fey says was with him that day. There the total for the 2 Tigers is given as 18 tanks 3 A/T guns and 5 vehicles. It is indeed a pity that there were no corresponding tank losses in the UK Armoured Regiments in action that day. The best match is this from the War Diary of The Fife And Forfar Yeomanry:

August 7th.

Owing to their losses in tanks A and C Sqns.were amalgamated under Major J.D.Hutchinson, Major J.E.F. Miller recieving an injury to his foot the previous day
There was again an attempt by the enemy to come in from the west. This was effectively dealt with by A Sqn., who destroyed 2 Mk IV's which had come near to them.
Meanwhile a number of Tiger tanks had established themselves on the high ground on our eastern flank at Le Haut Periere( M.R. 7233) and were able to engage A Sqn. from the rear at a range of about 2500 yds. These Tigers quickly caused A Sqn. 5 tank casualties.
Major Gilmore then went forward with a troop of B Sqn.to try and engage these tanks and succeeded in knocking out one of them.

As Fey confirms his Tiger was indeed heavily damaged and had to be towed out.

Concerning the battle of Normandy, your comment is a bit harsh since many accounts come from Kalss's 1st Company. For Fey, you must read the text one more time : the authors have not written that Fey had destroyed 15 enemy tanks. They have just quoted Fey's testimony which is somewhat different. Of course, they could (or should) have made a comment about it but Cazenave and Warnick have chosen to relate history without discussing it. This is a choice which is opened to debate but how many books on units' histories do contain an objective analysis ?