Die Deutsche Divisionen

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Helmut
Patron

Die Deutsche Divisionen

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
I have virtually all the books by Georg Tessin. Do DIE DEUTSCHEN DIVISIONEN books contain any information not in the Tessin books that would make the worth purchasing? My budget is somewhat limited and I don't want to waste the money on books that replicate what I already have.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Helmut
Jason Long
Contributor

Re: Die Deutsche Divisionen

Post by Jason Long »

Not so great on the composition of the division over time, but superb maps showing locations and movements throughout the war. Essential if you want to figure out exactly when the divisions moved around.
Usual lists of award winners, commanders and Ia's.

Jason
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Thanks Jason.
So, would that be a recommendation to buy th set?

Thanks,

Helmut
Jason Long
Contributor

Post by Jason Long »

Helmut,
Depends on what you're interested in. Unit locations, awards, commanders, Ia's, etc., yes. Organizational history, probably not. They're hugely expensive and I think that Biblio has gone out of business so I'm not holding my breath for Vol. V.

Jason
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

As I had it in my hands I was very disappointed...the maps are fantastic, but the rest (Kdr, Ritterkreuzträger etc.) was put together without any real research ...which lead to an "outcome" taht does not fit into the price Biblio wants for these Volumes. If you want precise OoBs, Stellenebsetzungen which are really usuable and a well researched overview about all high decorated you go better with the Scherzer (only Minus is that you will find nothing on SS-Formations there as Scherzer is focussed on Heer units.).

Jan-Hendrik
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Thanks to all for your input. I think I will save my money for something else.

Regards,

Helmit
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

I've had all four for years and I agree with most that has been said. One thing that is never mentioned but is very noticeable is they are not real durable. I pull mine off the shelf often and it shows! Covers are worn out, bindings are broken, individual pages fall out! Surely not as important as content but still... they seem very cheaply made.

FWIW

Jerry
When you're in command..... command!
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Jerry,
Durability s important to me. I have purchase the hardback ersion after having read paperbacks just so I can have a more durable version of a good book. Usually I don't mind paying somewhat more just to getthe "good one."

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Helmut