Prohorovka/Lawrence

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Harry64

Re: Prohorovka/Lawrence

Post by Harry64 »

Jukka,

any news about publishing date?

Harry
Jukka Juutinen
Supporter

Post by Jukka Juutinen »

I'll check and get back to you asap.
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

Any news?
Klaus Richter
Jukka Juutinen
Supporter

Post by Jukka Juutinen »

I'll be contacting the publisher later this week, so hopefully an update then.
Jukka Juutinen
Supporter

Post by Jukka Juutinen »

Ok, here is the latest update! The publication date has moved to 2014 due to infusion of corrections and additions by the author. Current page count estimate is approx. 1200 (format 8" x 10") and the retail price estimate is $150 (a limited print run coupled with professional editing etc.). It may sound high, but then, the latest JJF release with about 530 smaller format pages retails at $85 while being just a translation, not an original work.
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

:up: I can't wait! Have you heard anything about the new book coming out "Thunder at Prokhorovka" by David Schranck???
Klaus Richter
Jukka Juutinen
Supporter

Post by Jukka Juutinen »

I noted David Schranck's forthcoming book some time ago by accident. Schranck seems to be a very active reviewer on amazon (.co.uk and .com).
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

Yes, he is a very prolific reviewer. I bought a lot of books based on his recommendations, and even have his review page on amazon "bookmarked."
Klaus Richter
Meyer

Post by Meyer »

Jukka Juutinen: Thank you very much for the detailed information on Lawrence's book. Just have one question, if you know or are allow to talk about: what is the scope of the book? is it about the whole southern front of the attack, or concentrates on the Prokhorovka's engagements?. Is there anything about the 9.Armee attack? (just hoping here...)

Hopefully, this is the last delay on the publication date!.
Jukka Juutinen
Supporter

Post by Jukka Juutinen »

Here is some info on the scope of the book. The emphasis is on the the attack in the south by the 52nd Corps, the 48th Panzer Corps, the SS Panzer Corps, the III Panzer Corps and Corps Raus from 4 to 18 July 1943.

The author told me that "Anyhow, it does cover the entire southern front, including the infantry actions. These are often glossed over by other books. It does not include the two Soviet counter-offensives, which were bigger and longer then the German northern and southern attacks. They would require a couple of separate books. It does include the actions in south in depth, and is the only book I know of that addresses division-level actions in depth using the unit records from both sides."
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

:up: :up:
Klaus Richter
Meyer

Post by Meyer »

Jukka Juutinen wrote:Here is some info on the scope of the book. The emphasis is on the the attack in the south by the 52nd Corps, the 48th Panzer Corps, the SS Panzer Corps, the III Panzer Corps and Corps Raus from 4 to 18 July 1943.

The author told me that "Anyhow, it does cover the entire southern front, including the infantry actions. These are often glossed over by other books. It does not include the two Soviet counter-offensives, which were bigger and longer then the German northern and southern attacks. They would require a couple of separate books. It does include the actions in south in depth, and is the only book I know of that addresses division-level actions in depth using the unit records from both sides."
Thank you.
Jake
Contributor

Post by Jake »

I first became aware of this work around 2001/2002. It's had a hell of a genesis. I hope it does actually appear sometime in the not too distant future.
Jukka Juutinen
Supporter

Post by Jukka Juutinen »

Jake, the process has been indeed long. One reason for it has been Lawrence's job commitments which slowed down the work on the book a lot. As the project began to swell quite a lot, the original publisher apparently was no longer interested in it, and a new one had to be found. Very few were willing to do it the way the author wished. The current one is a very perfectionist one, hence the lengthy process. As the price will be quite high, every attempt is made NOT to cut any corners so that buyers will feel that they get what they pay for.
Jake
Contributor

Post by Jake »

Well, with the time it has taken, it should really be a great book!