Books by Franz Kurowski

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Uncle Joe
Enthusiast

Re: Books by Franz Kurowski

Post by Uncle Joe »

I did not miss the point. But this Stefan´s attack was obviously a politically motivated one.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Personally, I've never noticed any political bias in Kurowski's work. I have been struck, however, by the Landser-esque heroic style, severe lack of sources and footnotes, factional dialogue and other shortcomings. Rather reminds me of a German Charles Whiting...
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

The only Kurowski book I had is Brandenburgers: Global Mission. I never read if there is any political slant/bias in his book although there is one paragraph (sorry I forgot which chapter) that he hit out emotionally the commission (as "national idioten") to investigate the West German Minister for refugees, Theodor Oberlander who was with the Nachtigall battalion during Barbarossa and was acussed of war crimes during the entering of Lvov..which was proven to be innocent of any war crimes charge

Anyone wants to donate Kurowski's books to me? I am willing to pay for the postage. At least I can be the repository of Kurowski's books in Malaysia!!! :D 8)

Panzermahn
FalkeEins

Post by FalkeEins »

..you've not seen his 'Panzer Aces' books.? These must have been best sellers for JJF & then Stackpole. Was reading Hans Schaufler's 'Panzer an der Weichsel' and his Pz. Rgt. 35 compendium a while back and thought that some of the personal accounts were a little familiar - found them uncredited by Kurowski in the Panzer Aces titles - so not all the fictious dialogue is his invention.
His work has been published in the "Landser" booklets - Altmann is one of his psuedos
Richard Hargreaves
Author

I think I bought Panzer Aces before I knew better. :( Sold on eBay at a considerable loss, but at least I clawed some dosh back.

For me the real problem is the tubthumping heroic style and narrative mixed with dialogue à la fiction. The referencing is awful so you really don't know what to trust. His collaborative efforts are generally better, e.g. the book on Festung Holland (which I'd probably give 4/5), it's just a shame that more of his books aren't like it.

Hans Schäufler, now there's a chronicler who gets :up: :up: :up: :up: from me. :D
Francisco

Post by Francisco »

What about Deadlock before Moscow??, i don't know many books dealing with the actions during 1942 in the Moscow region, but after reading all these posts about Kurowski, i'm kind of "afraid" to buy anything written by him 8) , if he's so horrid what other author(s) should i look to for books on the russia central area of operations from the winter of 1941 until more or less the beginning of Bagration?
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

According to folks here, Deadlock before Moscow is one of Kurowski's better books (the battle of Velikiye Luki was covered in full detail).

I think many would regards also FallschimPanzerkorps Hermann Goering and Brandenburgers: Global Mission are few of Kurowski's better books..
Richard Hargreaves
Author

It's a long, long, long time since I read Deadlock... at a time when such Ostfront books in English were almost impossible to get hold of. I can't remember whether I enjoyed it or not (I'm guessing it must have been fairly average, otherwise it would have stuck in my mind). The US Amazon reviews are pretty scathing, however.

http://www.amazon.com/Deadlock-Before-M ... 705&sr=8-1

Brandenburgers I did buy, but I got rid of it. I have kept the Hermann Goering history however as it is one of his better works.

Also beware Kurowski's pseudonyms of Volkmar Kuhn and Karl Alman (I think). I've not seen any of the latter in English, but some Kuhn books have been translated.
FalkeEins

Post by FalkeEins »

that's Altmann. See "Luftwaffe Aces" - this appeared in English under his own name, but was previously published as a series of Landser booklets under the name of Altmann - worthless rubbish I'm afraid !
panzermahn
Associate

Kurowski did it again!

Post by panzermahn »

Folks

Is this a new book by Uncle Kurowski or a reprint (in a new package) of his earlier editions? According to Amazon, it is going to be released on October 2011

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Panzer-Stri ... 29&sr=1-22

Panzermahn
Richard Hargreaves
Author

I'm assuming it's a translation of this:

http://www.amazon.de/Die-Panzer-Lehr-Di ... 533&sr=8-1

If you really want Panzer Lehr, buy Ritgen or the Heimdal volume. :[]
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Richard Hargreaves wrote:I'm assuming it's a translation of this:

http://www.amazon.de/Die-Panzer-Lehr-Di ... 533&sr=8-1

If you really want Panzer Lehr, buy Ritgen or the Heimdal volume. :[]
Hi Richard

Thanks for the info. I suspect as much it may be a reprint of one his earlier books.

Do you know if Kurowski is still writting new books?

Panzermahn
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Nope, he died about a month ago.

He was still producing books until about two years ago - Flechsig Verlag produced a whole string of his final writings; they generally got really bad reviews.

It's frustrating that English-language publishing houses are still translating his works. There are hundreds of WW2 books in German crying out for translation... :[]
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Richard

Thanks for the info. I certainly agreed with your statement that many books in Germany still need translation.

At least books by Bogdan Musial which is groundbreaking (Eastern Front as well as the myth of the Partisan movement) and Joachim Hoffmann's earlier works on the Ostlegionen certainly should get an English translation ASAP

Panzermahn
mconrad

Post by mconrad »

The German Wikipedia entry on FK is mostly about factual errors (?) in his polemical books on the Dresden raids. He is identified as a revisionist in the disapproving sense of the word.