Breslau 1945

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Jager1945

Re: Breslau 1945

Post by Jager1945 »

Hello Richard,

I haven't read any of your other books as yet, but I am looking forward. I have been a student of military history for many years and have a vast library.

Keep up the good work and best wishes on this excellent topic (what I've read so far).

Best Regards,

-Jager1945 (Robert)
Jaeger

‘There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.’ - Heinz Guderian
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Hi Robert,

Many thanks. The manuscript is now with the publisher who'll lay it out on their system ready for proofing circa March. After that there's a final proof, indexing to do, all for a release around September 2011. I shall post pricing details and the like when I have them, but I'm expecting a £25 price tag for the hardback, followed a couple of years down the line by another Stackpole paperback version.

I think it trumps everything that I've written so far - the few Feldgrauers who've kindly proofed it may (or may not) agree - chiefly because I was very disciplined when writing. No writing till all the research is done. Very thorough card index system, maps of the city on the wall marking various places. As for the writing, start with chapter one and continue in order. It shaved about six months off the process and produces a much more coherent narrative.

I doubt whether Book No.4 will be as gripping because it covers a much, much wider subject matter and there's much less of the human element because civilians barely feature. :[]
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Njorl
Contributor

Post by Njorl »

Slightly off-topic, but nevertheless some may find it interesting. This or this piece of music might go well while reading Richards' book :wink:

Taken from 'Breslau' album by Igor Boxx (Igor Pudło from Skalpel, born and living in today's Wrocław), also available in special 'Festung Edition', that also includes '1945' EP with quite nice "Red Army Bounce" track.

Regards,
Michał Jungiewicz
"Always be ready to speak your mind and a base man will avoid you" W. Blake, Proverbs of Hell
Richard Hargreaves
Author

You'll be spending a long time listening to the music before the book. Latest from the publisher is a Nov 11 release. :(

Ausser meiner Kompetenz...
Stephan H.
Contributor

Post by Stephan H. »

Richard - It will be worth the wait. . .it is amazing how long it takes to get a finished manuscript into the publishers' pipeline and out to the public.

If you posted this info before, apologies, but how many photos and maps will you include?

Cheers
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Now published and being shipped in the UK. :D

130,000 words, 268 pages,16 pages of plates, 11 maps, no happy endings... :[]
Jager1945

Post by Jager1945 »

Congratulations Richard. I for one cannot wait for it!

Best regards and best wishes,

-Rob :up:
Jaeger

‘There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.’ - Heinz Guderian