Beyond Stalingrad

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Jaywol
Supporter

Beyond Stalingrad

Post by Jaywol »

Does anyone have any views on this book, Beyond Stalingrad: Manstein and the Operations of Army Group Don by Dana V. Sadarananda. I saw it on Amazon for £49.50 Regards Jaywol.
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Re: Beyond Stalingrad

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

It's been years since I examined a library copy (I think from the Colorado State University Library), but I recall it as being a slender volume that was vastly overpriced (as books intended for libraries sometimes are). I think the book was a valuable study in the era when David Glantz's studies were still mainly circulated within the US Army, but has now been overshadowed by the ready availability of more in depth studies by Glantz. But again, it has been years since I examined a copy, and I could be missing some point of value in the book.
Jaywol
Supporter

Post by Jaywol »

Thanks for your response, regards Jaywol.
Uncle Joe
Enthusiast

Post by Uncle Joe »

Additional comments most welcome since Stackpole has/is about to release a cheap paperback reprint of the book.
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
I read this book several years ago and found it to have a great deal of information. There was a great deal of biographical data, as I recall, and I found the book easy to read. Yes, a litle pricey but I was not disappointed.

Regards,
Helmut
Pan

Post by Pan »

Sorry for digging out this thread, but I'd have a question though:

I'm trying to gather as much info as possible about operation "Wintergewitter" and Manstein's backhand blow (Kharkov' 43).

So I thought I would order Manstein's "Lost victories"...

Now I've seen there is a new edition available of this book ("Beyond Stalingrad") for relatively littel money. And I was wondering if it's worth ordering?

What I'm trying to say is, is Manstein's book sufficient or does "beyond Stalingrad" provide different and more elaborate info?

Anyone got those two books and would be so kind to provide some oppinion about my question?

Thanx in advance. Highly appreciated.

Table of contents:

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Victories-Me ... 0760320543

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Stalingrad ... 0811735745
michalst
Supporter

Post by michalst »

Manstein's backhand blow (Kharkov' 43).
you should maybe read Nipes "Last victory in Russia" -> http://www.amazon.com/Last-Victory-Russ ... 469&sr=8-1