Korsun Pocket vs. Hell's Gate

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Jason Long
Contributor

Korsun Pocket vs. Hell's Gate

Post by Jason Long »

How does Franken and Zetterling's Korsun Pocket compare to Doug Nash's Hell's Gate? I've got the latter, which is excellent, but am holding off on the former until I hear something positive about the former.

Jason
donwhite
Contributor

Re: Korsun Pocket vs. Hell's Gate

Post by donwhite »

I'm in the opposite boat, I read the former on the strength of Zetterling's and Franksons "Kursk1943: A statistical analysis". Not that I'm into heavy math but the sheer OOB, TO/E and loss returns examined impressed me as well as the general narrative. The new offering is not quite same. It offers first person perspectives from both sides (sourced mainly from published autobiographies) at the expense of the dry academic overview of "Kursk 1943" which I enjoyed, althought the footnoting is of the same pedigree as "Kursk" offering-heavily detailed.

Cheers
Uncle Joe
Enthusiast

Post by Uncle Joe »

So what does Frankson&Zetterling´s book have that Doug´s book doesn´t?
donwhite
Contributor

Post by donwhite »

I have not read Doug's book so I can't comment on that aspect.

Cheers
rommel170

Post by rommel170 »

Hi everyone,
I have owned both books. Each book has its merits and demerits.If you want details figure of German troops,choose
Korson Pocket as it contain more german information.But if you hope to learn more comphensive pictire,the think of Hell gate/
michalst
Supporter

Post by michalst »

I have owned both books. Each book has its merits and demerits.If you want details figure of German troops,choose
Korson Pocket as it contain more german information.But if you hope to learn more comphensive pictire,the think of Hell gate/
which would you recommend? Which is better written?
rommel170

Post by rommel170 »

Hi,
It is unfair to compare them.But I would choose Hell gate rather then korsun pocket by zetterling.Hell gate do provide
more information .such as the death of Stemmermann and the eventual figure of troops that were successfully breaking out.they are important information to the battle of korsun but I dont know why it is not mentioned in Zetterling book.
However.Zetterling do give you full details for every german troops fightin around korsun,especilly daily tank loss of ever panzer divisions.
So .as I have said both books have its merits and demerits.If you like more information on german side ,then pick
zetterling book up.Otherwise, choose Hell gate.
michalst
Supporter

Post by michalst »

Glantz has also written a book about Korsun:

Battle for the Ukraine: The Korsun'-Shevchenkovskii Operation (Soviet (Russian) Study of War), Frank Cass Publishers, 2003; ISBN 0714652784

He is very pro-Soviet (has I heard). How is his book compared to the ones discussed in this thread? On dws someone suggested reading both Zetterlings and Glantz book, since they are written from one side each.
Uncle Joe
Enthusiast

Post by Uncle Joe »

That book is edited by Glantz, not written as it is an "official" Soviet study.