Breakout and Pursuit

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Richard Hargreaves
Author

Breakout and Pursuit

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

IMHO the very best official history of either world war, Martin Blumenson's Breakout & Pursuit, is available online now, in toto, for free. :[]

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA ... index.html
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Uncle Joe
Enthusiast

Re: Breakout and Pursuit

Post by Uncle Joe »

Well, that format is the most unsuitable one from my POV. Reading such texts on screen is simply a no-no for me and printing it is very expensive. So it really isn´t for free.
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

The Siegfried Line campaign and the one on the ardennes offensive are also available in the same manner.

Mad Dog
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

Richard Hargreaves wrote:IMHO the very best official history of either world war, Martin Blumenson's Breakout & Pursuit, is available online now, in toto, for free. :[]
You're serious? :D B&P is probably one of the poorer volumes in the series, skimming rather lightly over a complex subject and covering about 10 weeks of the campaign in less than twice space that Harrison used to cover the three weeks that opened the campaign. I always wished that Doc Cole, Forrest Poague, or Mac MacDonald had done that one. :wink:
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

I am, but then I'm a narrative historian not one of you brainy chaps. :D

As a whole, the American ones are streets ahead of anything the Brits produced - all of them are very readable, although Harrison's is probably the hardest going. Given a choice between Blumenson and L F Ellis, I'll take the former any day. :[]
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

Richard Hargreaves wrote:I am, but then I'm a narrative historian not one of you brainy chaps. :D

As a whole, the American ones are streets ahead of anything the Brits produced - all of them are very readable, although Harrison's is probably the hardest going. Given a choice between Blumenson and L F Ellis, I'll take the former any day. :[]
Yes, Blumenson is certainly the most readable of the CMH authors, probably followed by Mac. But of course it was Ellis' apparent mission to conceal as much as he revealed, so perhaps he can be forgiven for his lack of readability. :D 8)
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

Uncle Joe wrote:Well, that format is the most unsuitable one from my POV. Reading such texts on screen is simply a no-no for me and printing it is very expensive. So it really isn´t for free.
It’s online and you don’t have to pay or subscribe. Of course it’s free. Try looking at the positives, not the negatives. I wouldn’t want to read the whole book online but it’s a handy work to have at your fingertips to just dip in an out of and to use for research. For example, there is a good chapter on the battle for St Ló.

Regards,

André
Up The Tigers!