Unit History Reviews

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Richard Hargreaves
Author

Re: Unit History Reviews

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Klapdor's an excellent chronicler; the personal memories he includes in his erudite works, the Bericht Klapdor he calls it, is excellent. It's a shame the book is damned expensive. :(
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Barbara Selz, Das Grüne Regiment: Der Weg der 256 Infanterie Division aus der Sicht des Regiments 481

Proof that the old adage 'never judge a book by its cover' is invariably true. Das Grüne Regiment has a shockingly bad jacket (two Landsers sitting down, seemingly drawn by Andy Warhol :shock: ). Luckily the contents are top notch. The pages of this excellent volume are jam-packed with first-hand accounts, documents, diaries, orders. It's written by the widow of a divisional member who wanted to show her children what their father did in the war. Perhaps it's because it's written by the fairer sex that the book's so human rather than a dry read (e.g. a lot of the Podzun/Dorfler volumes).

The only let-down is the last 12 months, hurriedly dealt with - presumably a lack of access to material the reason.

Otherwise, lots of images (nearly 150), maps, loads of info. What's not to like?

Copies aren't that common, so expect to pay in excess of 60€ for the few floating around the web. :[]
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

If You had said a word....dear friend :wink:

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

In English too or just German?
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Nur Deutsch.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Friedrich Wilhelm Hauck, Eine deutsche Division in Russland und Italien. Die 305. Infanteriedivision 1941 - 1945.

One of the later Podzun histories, and all the better for it as Hauck's book is an easy read packed with first-hand accounts. It's written in a surprisingly readable style (if you want dry, try the very dull original 13 Pz Div history...), crammed with maps, not too many images (two plate sections). The first 90 or so pages are devoted to the division's formation, march on Stalingrad and destruction; far more detailed is the rest of the book - the remaining 300+ pages are devoted to its role in Italy, so for anyone studying that campaign (I'm not one of them :( ) it would be invaluable.

I'd say a 4.5 out of 5. Definitely among the top infantry divisional histories, especially when you consider it's an "unsexy" unit. Not cheap though. Typically around 80€. :[]

Next up (when it arrives in the post) Musculus' 111 Infanterie Division which I got for a Snäppchen on eBay :D ...
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Friedrich Musculus, Geschichte der 111. Infanterie-Division 1940-1944

Another "unsexy" unit very well served by a 400-page self-published history, written in 1980. It's a detailed narrative interspersed with reminiscences, diaries and first-hand accounts. It's particularly detailed for the fighting of 1943 and 1944, in particular the division's final battles in the Crimea (which account for the final quarter of the book). The only real let-down is the image section - just four pages of plates.

The big issue, however, is the cost - copies are currently floating around for €180+ :shock: so you really have to want/need it at that price. :[]
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Henrik Schuzle, 19 Tage Krieg: Die RAD Infanteriedivision Friedrich Ludwig Jahn in der Lücke zwischen 9 und 12 Armee

Put simply: 600 pages of Endkampf/divisional history goodness. :D A very detailed study of this short-lived unit, jam packed with first-hand accounts, detailed information, excellent colour maps. There isn't too much official material on the division given the chaos of the final weeks of the war, so the author's done a very impressive job of tracking down veterans and their accounts.

A must-buy if you're interested in the closing stages of the war.

Not easy to get hold of outside Germany (unless you want to pay the high bank transfer costs...), however I got my copy from this seller, who takes Paypal:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNSERE-EMPFEH ... 5ae231d4bb
hucks216
Contributor

Post by hucks216 »

Wasn't sure whether to post this as a seperate question or to place it here seeing as it deals with individual units so if it needs to be moved, please feel free to do so.

I'm looking at buying a few German-language dedicated unit books and I was wondering if anyone can tell me please if the following have a good list (maybe as one of the appendices) of the relevant command positions, & who held them, as part of the book - as low as Kompanie-Chef if possible but to at least Regiment Kdr level. I can't read German beyond decipering a Wehrpass/Soldbuch but do take an interest in obtaining such Command position listings for units...

Die 71. Infanterie-Division Gefechts- und Erlebnisberichte aus den Kämpfen der 'Glückhaften Division'

Das Grüne Regiment: Die 256. Infanterie-Division aus der Sicht des Regiments 481 (Barbara Selz)

Die 3. Gebirgsdivision 1939-1945 (Paul Klatt)

Die 4.Gebirgs-Division 1940-1945 "ENZIAN UND EDELWEISS" (Julius von Braun) (1955)

113.Infanterie-Division Kiew-Charkow-Stalingrad (Veit Scherzer)
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,

If you are looking to buy good unit histories go to amazon.de and in the search block type in Deutsche Infanterie Divisionen. You will be surprised at how many pop up. Since it's Amazon you don't have to pay exorbitant fees for monetary transfers. They, like their American couterpart, accept credit cards. If the seller does not want to ship to the USA, they will tell you when you wnat to order the book but a surprising number will ship here. I have gotten a number of books from there. They may still have a high asking price but they ARE available.

Regards,

Helmut
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Do they state if the books are in English or other language?
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Yes they do. usually you can tell from the title.