Buffel

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Abicht

Buffel

Post by Abicht »

Are there any books in English covering Operation Buffel, the pullout from the Rzhev area?
M.Abicht
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Re: Buffel

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Hi Matt,

Any idea of which units were involved as there might be something in the divisional histories.

There might have been something in Kurowski's Deadlock before Moscow although from memory it mainly covers Velikie Luki (and as forum members know I'm not much of a fan of Franz K's work, although this one was one of his better efforts...). It's also worth checking Werner Haupt's Army Group Centre book.

Sadly, I'm much more able to help with the other Operation Büffel in Norway in 1940. :(
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

Indeed there seems to be a great deal of maps, overlays, orders, plans, and more on Büffel, which took place beginning on 3 March 1943 based on my research of records from divisions up to AG Mitte. I am surprised nothing was written on this though as this operation freed up a good deal of units for Citadel. I even wonder if Citadel would have been set in place (I think it was planned in March 1943) if Büffel wasn't so successful?
M.Abicht
Mattias Rönnblom
Supporter

Post by Mattias Rönnblom »

I'm looking for a information and maps covering Kurkino, north of Lazinki in the Spas-Demensk area. Here reinforced elements of the German 267. infantry division fought off heavy Russian tank attacks on 17 March 1943 (last phase of Büffel). I'm particularly interested in which of the Russian 50th Army's tank units were involved.

You don't happen to have any information on this, Abicht? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Charlie645
Supporter

Post by Charlie645 »

According to David Glantz's new book "After Stalingrad: The Red Army's Winter Offensive 1942-1943" on p. 333, [on 18 March] "combined shock groups from the Western Front's 33rd, 49th, and 50th Armies, with a total of about eight rifle divisions and seven separate tank brigades, mounted an even larger scale attack at Spas-Demensk. In addition Sokolovksy committed the entire 5th Tank Corps in support of the 33rd Army and the full 1st Tank Corps in support of the 49th Army." On p. 334 Glantz acknowledges the importance of Buffel. As for the 50th Army itself, it only included the 2nd Guards and 108 Tank Brigades, according to Glantz's "Companion to Colossus Reborn" p. 211.

I hope this helps, Mattias.

Charlie