Rolf Michaelis

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

nord

Rolf Michaelis

Post by nord »

hi all
i am thinking of getting some books by rolf michaelis
ss fallschirmjager-batailion 500/600 - in english
32nd ss freiwilligen grenadier division - in english
11th ss freiwilligen-panzer gernadier division- in english
10th ss panzer division- in english
are these books a good history of the divisions?
and how are thay for the battles etc that thay were in
thank you
nord
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Re: Rolf Michaelis

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Michaelis' stuff is almost never a true unit history. Rather, he collects some rare material on the unit, such as Soldbucher and private photos, and then puts out a work which gives further insight into a unit. But his books are not comprehensive studies of their subjects. So if you want to see some rare material that deals with Frundsberg, get his book (which isn't released yet AFAIK), but for the history of the division, get Tieke's Firestorm book, or Reynolds' Sons of the Reich.
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

I haven't seen the English language edition of the SS-FJ book but I read it in the original German. As Marc says, his books usually contain some interesting images and a few facts here and there but based on the titles I have read, I wouldn't consider him an infallible authority on any topic. Perhaps I shall be surprised one day. The original edition of his SS-FJ book has a photograph on the cover purporting to show men of the SS-FJ-Btl, complete with a Waffen-SS-registered Kubelwagen in-shot but it is a Photoshopped scan of a unique image in the collection of a respected French FJ historian showing men of Fallschirmjäger-Rgt 6, with the Kubelwagen dropped in. The netted M38 helmet drop-in was also used without permission. There are some interesting photos inside but they are mixed with unrelated photographs. I recall being a bit taken aback by some of the written content. Moreover, veterans' accounts are credited in each case to "a former member [of the unit] and no source is given. Some of them were familiar to me while others weren't. The Army Parachutist Badge on P. 106 is a fake and there is no evidence to support his claim that "around 200" of these badges were awarded to members of the battalion. The true figure was far less than that because of availability and most received the LW badge. I would not say that this book does not have a place in any serious library but I would second Marc's caveat.

PK
nord

Post by nord »

thank you both for your replay
i have tieles- in the firestorm, and reynolds-sons of the rich - both good books
i think i will get the books
thank you
nord
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

His books are quite useful for unpublished first-hand accounts - I've got 10/11 SS and also Heimwehr Danzig. The latter's probably his best as it's the comprehensive and getting close to what you'd call a complete unit history. One good thing about his books is that they're generally nicely produced, a good hardback cover, nice paper, goodish photograph reproduction and relatively well priced. :[]
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
nord

Post by nord »

hi richard
thank you for the replay
are the books on the 10th and 11th good books
for first hand acounts and battles in 1945
nord
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Nord!

Another (little) book by Rolf Michaelis which I can recommend is "Esten in die Waffen-SS: Die 20. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der Waffen-SS (Estnische Nr. 1)" (2000). It's a detailed account on that Division's history and combat exploits. I have the Swedish edition from 2005 which is expanded with several appendices by the swedish publishers. A recommend book, although I don't know if it's translated to english...

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
michalst
Supporter

Post by michalst »

ss fallschirmjager-batailion 500/600 - in english
Other suggestion on good books about this battalion? As far as I know only Michaelis has written a book about them, or am I wrong?
nord

Post by nord »

hi all
just got ss fallschirmjager-batailion 500/600 :D
looks good,with good photos, :D
as for as i now this is the only english book about the batailion
nord
michalst
Supporter

Post by michalst »

I suppose the operation against Tito is well covered in the book. What about the fightings in summer (Bagration, fighting around Wilno) and spring 1945?
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

For SS-Fallschirmjäger in English, Antonio Munoz wrote a detailed unit history. It was published twice with slightly different editing, first in three issues of Siegrunen Magazine (#45, 46, and the combined 47/48), and then in Munoz' book on Obscure Combat Formations of the Waffen-SS. As expected, there's a lot of detail about Drvar, and again much detail on the spring 1945 fighting, but not so much on the Vilnius portion of the unit's career.
michalst
Supporter

Post by michalst »

Siegrunen Magazine (#45, 46, and the combined 47/48)...Obscure Combat Formations of the Waffen-SS
hm..both out of print and hard to get! That is not good!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Michal, I'm not entirely sure of what he has in stock, but check www.merriam-press.com I know Ray carries a lot of Siegrunen (paper and .pdf formats) so he might have it.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Merriam's site shows those Siegrunen issues to all be available, I believe they are pdf files. So the information IS avaialble, even if it costs $30 or so combined for the three issues.