George Nipe + Charles Trang

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Zooropa

George Nipe + Charles Trang

Post by Zooropa »

Hi all,

First time poster here. I just have two questions regarding these two fine authors.

Does anyone know if George Nipe will publish anything new in the future? I really enjoy his books!

The Leibstandarte volumes by Heimdal is published in French and that's OK unless they are later published in English once I've spend a furtune on them. Does anyone know if these volumes will be french only?

Any help or info appreciated!

Oh, I would like a new book by Dough Nash, too! :D

Cheers
Daniel
Charles Trang
Supporter

Re: George Nipe + Charles Trang

Post by Charles Trang »

I met George Nipe in the US NARA a few weeks ago and I understood he was still working on his book. Concerning the Leibstandarte set, it will not be translated in english ! Volume 3 (SS-KB Roth) has english captions for the photographs and the volumes 2 and 4 as well (probably).
Uncle Joe
Enthusiast

Post by Uncle Joe »

Any idea what the topic of Nipe´s forthcoming book will be?
Doug Nash
Author

Re: George Nipe

Post by Doug Nash »

George's next book will be about Kursk - and it will debunk a fair amount of what's been written about that battle over the past 50 years. I've proofed a good bit of the draft manuscript, and his use of German and Soviet original source material is simply some of the best work I've ever seen - he even went down to battalion level using original KTBs and other original sources (such as contemporary interviews and diaries). What comes through is how the performance of the II SS-Pz.Korps has been underrated all these years, when in fact the combat effectiveness & skill of the 3 divisions assigned to the Corps was far greater than I had ever thought. This battle represents the Waffen SS at what was perhaps its peak level of performance, that was never matched again after this battle. What also comes through from his analysis of the orginal wartime records is how poorly some of the more higher-regarded units performed, such as the GD (especially the tank regiment under von Strachwitz, whose performance bordered on the incompetent) and how other less-heralded units, such as the 11th Pz.Div., carried out its assignments in an exemplary fashion. His chapter describing how the Das Reich and Totenkopf defeated the Soviet counterthrust at Prokohorovka using mostly antitank guns and infantry weapons is especially illuminating. Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on a copy after Remy at RZM finishes with the editing process. I understand that a number of unplublished Kursk photos will also be included.
Cheers,
Doug Nash
Abbott: This sure is a beautiful forest.
Costello: Too bad you can't see it for all those trees!
Jason Petho
Supporter

Post by Jason Petho »

Well this certainly sounds like it will be an interesting read. I am looking forward to having it in my library!

Would you happen to know where and when this will be available for purchase?

Jason Petho
Petho Cartography
http://www.pethocarto.com

Mapping Military History

Check out the Portfolio!
Doug Nash
Author

Post by Doug Nash »

All I know is that it's scheduled to be released sometime during 2009 - you'll have to keep an eye out on the RZM.com website.
Regards,
Doug Nash
Abbott: This sure is a beautiful forest.
Costello: Too bad you can't see it for all those trees!
Jason Petho
Supporter

Post by Jason Petho »

Thank you, muchly!

Will do!

Jason Petho
Petho Cartography
http://www.pethocarto.com

Mapping Military History

Check out the Portfolio!
Sam Wren

Trang's Leibstandarte 4

Post by Sam Wren »

Can anyone (Charles?) tell me what will be contained in the 4th volume of the Leibstandarte set?

thanks,
sam
"no hay vida espiritual en este infierno." LFC
Charles Trang
Supporter

Post by Charles Trang »

Volume 4's title will be "Leibstandarte Archives" which is not quite accurate : in fact, the book will contain about 600 additional photographs (a good number comes from private collections, and you would pay attention to a spectacular sequence showing LSSAH in Metz in 1940 - 1941 which I have discovered in a small museum of the Lorraine (Lothringen) region) plus many documents (Gliederungen, extracts from personal files and KTB) and a few texts (concerning SS-Pz.Gren.AuE.-Btl.1 and the battles of Kampfgruppe "Mohnke" in Berlin, among others) and a complete Gliederung of SS-Pz.AA 1 of December 1944 with drawings of each of its vehicles.
Sam Wren

Post by Sam Wren »

Thanks Charles.
"no hay vida espiritual en este infierno." LFC