"Panzerkampfgruppe Strachwitz" by Pruett

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Charlie645
Supporter

Re: "Panzerkampfgruppe Strachwitz" by Pruett

Post by Charlie645 »

Hi Paul,

I'm glad you are enjoying the book. And I share your enthisusiasm about the photo of der Panzergraf with Günther Famula. If you ever visit Famula's grave again, include my sentiments in your thoughts. The only other photo of Famula I have ever found is on p. 192 of Helmuth Später's book "Panzerkorps Grossdeutschland: A Pictorial History", published by Schiffer in 1990. That book goes along well with his three-volume history publshed by Fedorowicz. Maybe somebody else in this forum knows of some other photos of Famula?

Thanks again for your interesting comments and for sharing your deep knowledge about the battles around Narva. Someday I hope perhaps to meet you in person and maybe walk into "The Boot" with you.

best regards,
Charlie
Paul E
Supporter

Post by Paul E »

Hi Charlie,

Do you happen to have a copy of PanzerKorps GD ? If you have if you can scan me a copy of the photo of Famula i would very much appreciate it.

Many RKT are buried in Estonia and i have visited the graves of most of them plus some of the famous Estonian officers such as Oskar Ruut and Alfons Rebane.

We must keep in touch as Narva researchers are thin on the ground compared to other areas of the Ostfront !! It would be my pleasure to meet at some future time and show you around the Narva Battlefields as i have said they are one of the best preserved i have ever been too, i will hopefully be retiring soon and doing the Tours fulltime so will get to spend even more time there !!!

best regards

Paul
andrus
Supporter

Post by andrus »

"missing" Pz.Gr.Div.Feldherrnhalle 1.May 1944 report (3 first pages, last page is not posted):

Paul E
Supporter

Post by Paul E »

Thanks for the post Andrus, very interesting,

regards

Paul
narva44

Post by narva44 »

This is a message for Paul.

My grand father died in the Ost Sack Angriff on 6t h April 44. He belonged to the 409 INf Reg. 122 Inf Division.

I think he died near the Bahnhoff of Auwere (near the so called Winkel Weg).

I was there twice to take pictures and to find his grave.

Do you know were was the cementery in Udria ?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Pascal
PS : I'm French by the way
Attachments
Heren Friedhof in Udria
Heren Friedhof in Udria
HFriedhof_Udria taille réduite.jpg (81.92 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
Paul E
Supporter

Post by Paul E »

Hi Pascal,

Sorry i don't know where the Udria Friedhof was but will make some enquiries with my contacts for you.

Nice to see you have been to the Auwere , i was only there again 3 weeks ago , did you go to the area of the old village and station ?

I'll be back later in the year maybe we will meet up ?? I would be very interested in hearing more info on your grandfather ?

All the best

Paul
Paul E
Supporter

Post by Paul E »

The drawing you posted is interesting , do you know where it is from and if it is accurate ?? From that it may be able to locate the Friedhof if the drawing is a true place , looks to be a spot on Bunker Strasse !!

cheers

Paul
narva44

Post by narva44 »

Hi Paul

I don't know where the drawing comes from. Here is another version .

Some guy from the Deutschkriegräberfürsorge told me that the cemetery would be in the place near the see where there are summer cottages. But Ivika Maidre manager from the Museum in Kinderheim Sinimae was not able to confirm this .

See the following link :
http://maps.google.fr/maps?f=q&source=s ... 9&t=h&z=14

Pascal

PS where is Bunker Strasse ?
Attachments
Herren Friedhof Udria bei Narwa + Gefallelen
Herren Friedhof Udria bei Narwa + Gefallelen
Udria Herren Friedhoff - redt.jpg (233.38 KiB) Viewed 4284 times
Paul E
Supporter

Post by Paul E »

Hi Pascal,

Looking at the map and the drawing etc i think this cemetery will be between Udria and Mummasaare , this is where Bunker Strasse was , a system of rear area dug outs / bunkers etc located along the Baltic coast , possibly just east of the Swedish wall in the area of the Estonian trenches of Alfons Rebanes Kampfgruppe.

I think i know this place and it is possible we can find this location , when will you be in Estonia next ?

cheers

Paul