nordland

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

nord

nordland

Post by nord »

hi all
are there any books in english on the 11 ss nordland
i have
3rd ss panzer crops - wilhelm tieke
twilight of the gods
both ex books
i am looking for more books
nord
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Re: nordland

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Your request for English language sources is of course a limitation to what is available, but there are several books out there if you are willing to spend the effort and high cost to find used copies. The first I'd suggest is Nordic Warriors, by Richard Landwehr and Holger Thor Nielsen. It is a study of Reg. Danmark, based on the text of Landwehr's long out of print writings on the III.(germ.) SS-Panzerkorps (which first appeared in his Narwa 1944 book, and in Siegrunen, before the 1945 sections were reprinted in his Charlemagnes Legionnaires book). The text is supplemented by numerous very rare photos that come from Danish veteran sources (Nielsen's father and uncle were in the Waffen-SS). Around the time this book was published in 1999, Landwehr released a special issue of his Siegrunen magazine, with the title Nordic Volunteers. It served as issue #67, but wasn't officially numbered like the others. It had many supplemental photos to the Nordic Warriors volume. In the years before this, Nielsen contributed a number of articles on Danish volunteers to Siegrunen, and these might be of interest too. Also, issue #51 of Siegrunen had a study of all of the Norwegian Waffen-SS officers who were KIA, most died with Nordland.

My friend Geir Brenden is a Norwegian with a large collection of material on the Norwegian Waffen-SS. He has contributed his photos to a couple of books for which he is credited as co-author. The better of these mioght still be for sale new somewhere (I think Aberdeen might have a few copies left), it is Nordmenne pa Ostfront, and is a collection of 200 photos on the Norwegian volunteers, with fairly detailed captions. The text is dual Norwegian/English, and the coauthor is Egil Ulateig. It covers more than just Nordland, and so includes Wiking, the Norwegian Legion, and the Norwegian Ski Battalion, but this is really rare material you won't see elsewhere.

Brenden later prepared another dual language book with Derek Schei, Norske krigsfrivillige pa tysk side Nr. 1 (Norwegian Wartime Volunteers on the German Side #1) which is an 88 page booklet on the various decorations won by Norwegian volunteers in the abovementioned units, with many photos. Not essential, but plenty of material you won't find elsewhere.

Brenden and Nielsen have also contributed material to my own books, which are all in print. My Soldiers of the Waffen-SS has many photos involving Nordland and the III.(germ.) SS-Panzerkorps, while my Waffen-SS Encyclopedia has a lengthy study of the Germanic Waffen-SS, fof which Nordland is of course a focus.

Edited to note that Ray Merriam at The Merriam Press has made Landwehr's Charlemagne's Legionnaires available again, in both a cheap paperback and an expensive hardcover version. This book focuses on the French Waffen-SS, but has extensive appendices about the III.(germ.) SS-Panzerkorps from the Sonnenwende Offensive in Pomerania through the withdrawal from the Altdamm Bridgehead.
nord

Post by nord »

hi marc
thank you
i will look up the books you gave :D
i have just per orderd the book
ss panzer aufklarungs abteilung 11 the swedish ss platoon in battle 43-45 in english
again thank you
nord
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

The "Nordland" volume of my SS and Police German Cross holder series is due out shortly. Cover and contents are in the author section.
nord

Post by nord »

hi mark
i will get this when it comes out
thank you
nord