Review: Victory Was Beyond Their Grasp

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Richard Hargreaves
Author

Re: Review: Victory Was Beyond Their Grasp

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Sid, there were copies on Abebooks the other week for under £20 with P&P from the UK but there are none at the moment. :(

Doug at Landmark is selling it for £20 plus P&P. He's a nice bloke and the service is good.

http://landmarkmilitarybooks.com/Victor ... -2455.html
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
book lover
Supporter

Post by book lover »

Hi,Just finished reading my copy.Outstanding history of a little known unit in the last days of the war.
My only problem is the binding.It is absolute cheap CRAP!After one read it is allready falling apart!
As a rule I always buy hard cover,but because of the author I made an exception.This is an important work an needs a hard cover edition.I can,t see why they didn,t do a limited print in hard cover,have them signed and numbered and sell them at cost.
Doug Nash
Author

Post by Doug Nash »

Hi - I've passed some of these observations on to the Editor at Aberjona Press - will let you know what the response is. I'd like to see it in hardback too one of these days ---
Cheers,
Doug
Abbott: This sure is a beautiful forest.
Costello: Too bad you can't see it for all those trees!
David N
Supporter

Post by David N »

I have finished Victory Was Beyond Their Grasp. It is a great book, and I recommend it wholeheartedly.
kanzel
Supporter

Post by kanzel »

This book was years in the making and it shows on every page. The complexity of details, large and small, the author has put together, flows from the division's inception in the summer of '44 to it's last days in April '45. No other book I've ever read imparts that feeling of 'Being there' day after day, as does this one. The photos prove how closley the author worked with the survivors. Don't miss adding this one to your library.
Fox 2/23

Post by Fox 2/23 »

I thouroughly enjoyed Victory Was Beyond Their Grasp as well as Hell's Gate. So Mr. Nash, what will your next project cover? :D
Doug Nash
Author

Post by Doug Nash »

Thanks much - glad you enjoyed the book. Currently, I'm working on a project with Remy Spezzano of RZM Publishing about the Battle of Kovel, focusing on the II. Abt. of Pz.Rgt. 5 of the "Wiking" Division - just in the preliminary stages though, collecting photos and whatnot. Have an outline ready to go, but this will be centered on the photographs, a la "Platz der Leibstandarte."
Cheers,
Doug
Abbott: This sure is a beautiful forest.
Costello: Too bad you can't see it for all those trees!