What do you read at the moment?

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Jan-Hendrik
Patron

What do you read at the moment?

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

I think it would be nice to have one thread where everbody can write in what he is reading, what he has "in progress" :D

I am reading Briefe und Aufzeichnungen, by August von Mackensen, published in 1938. Very interesting reading on the battles at the Eastern Front in WW I. 8)

:[]

Jan-Hendrik
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

I'm between books for the moment but have ordered Wolfgang Thamm's "Hauptmann (W) und Ritterkreuzträger Heinz Schweizer: Feuerwerker und Sprengkommandoführer" which should arrive any day now. :D As I get older I find myself fascinated by the more unusual aspects of the war, like the Feuerwerker who recieved the RK...

I've also ordered an old copy of Karl Alman's "Ritterkreuzträger des Afrikakorps" and that for a really cheap bargain price! :up: Also due to arrive this week...

Impatient regards,

Krollspell :[]
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

i am reading two at the moment:

Die Geschichte der 207. und 281. Infanteriedivision mit ihren Zwischengliederungen 1939-1945 (with a really nice Gliederung of the 207th on 1. 9 .1939 which i will post this evening on the other thread). Although the title doesn't say it, there is also some info on the 285th Sicherungsdivision. So far it's quite a nice book. 8)

15. (Preuss.) Reiterregiment, Kavallerieregiment 15 und seine Kriegseinheiten.
Which is a really nice book, describing, amongst others, the history of Aufkl.Abt 6,16,26,169 and 186.

Eric
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Die Geschichte der 207. und 281. Infanteriedivision
I second to your words about this book, I was positivly surprised when I got it 8)

Jan-Hendrik
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

So was I yesterday when i got it! :D

What i am really waiting for by the way is the complete 16. Inf Div (Mot). This 2000+ page volume is due to arrive somewhere next week. It was no bargain by any means, but i think it's going to be worth it. 8) 8)
hucks216
Contributor

Post by hucks216 »

Hi,
I'm currently reading Nemesis by Max Hastings. It's about the final year in of the war in the Far East and is a very good read. If you have read, & liked, his previous work Armageddon about the final year of the war in Europe then you will like this work also.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

"The Burning Mountain" by Alfred Coppel, after discussion of same in Soldatenheim
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

ericv wrote:So was I yesterday when i got it! :D

What i am really waiting for by the way is the complete 16. Inf Div (Mot). This 2000+ page volume is due to arrive somewhere next week. It was no bargain by any means, but i think it's going to be worth it. 8) 8)
What is the name of this 16th mot book and where can wone get it. Also same information on the 207/281 Inf Div Book?

Thanks in advance for any information..

Regards,

Helmut
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Die Kriegsgeschichte der Windhund-Division - 16. Infanterie-Division (mot.), 16. Panzergrenadier-Division, 116. Pz-Division
Fritz Memminger, Pöppinghaus, 1962, 2198 pages
here you can purchase it on CD-ROM 8)
Die Geschichte der 207. und 281. Sicherungs-Division mit ihren Zwischengliederungen 1939 - 1945
Mueller/Guttmann, Selbstverlag, 1958, 283 pages
Rare one, myself obtains only a set of copies instead of the "original"...but better than not having it :D :D

Jan-Hendrik
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Reading

Ernst Kabisch, Lüttich 1914
Norman Davies, Microcosm

Translating

Horst Gleiss, Breslauer Apokalypse. Eight volumes. 10,000 pages. Not all of it thankfully. :D
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
smaug
Supporter

Post by smaug »

i have ordered and now waiting for The Leibstandarte IV/1 (Fedorowicz Publishing) but no joy yet.
Mike Higgins
Supporter

Post by Mike Higgins »

Just started Doug Nash's book "Victory Was Beyond Their Grasp".
Wiking5th
Contributor

Post by Wiking5th »

Eagerly awaiting my copy of Doug's new book to be delivered.

Reading "Operation Citadel, Vol II North" at this time. Also have"In The Fire Of The Eastern Front" by Hendrik Verton going too.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Mike Higgins wrote:Just started Doug Nash's book "Victory Was Beyond Their Grasp".
I started my copy this evening! I love the photo section!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Peterc

Post by Peterc »

Two books on the go presently,

The Wages of Destruction by Adam Tooze
Highly readable style that makes economics accessible, and the theories are fascinating - this book really opens your eyes to the bigger picture on a vital but often under appreciated aspect of warfare. The excellent review in the Financial Times says it all.

The Germans in Normandy by Richard Hargreaves
Needless to say, but after getting into this, I'm already biting at the bit to pick up "Blitzkrieg Unleashed".