Christmas books

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

von Salza
Supporter

Christmas books

Post by von Salza »

Hello all, :D

Anybody get any good books for Christmas?

Thanks to my long suffering wife I was furnished with, what I regard as four gems. Best to point out at this stage that I chose the titles, she wasn't too happy because there was no surprise. Ah women, will we ever understand them.

I've just finished "Kursk: The German view" by Steven Newton and have these next three to go.

"Stumbling Colossus: The Red Army on the eve of World War" by David Glantz

"Colossus reborn: The Red Army at war 1941-1943" by David Glantz, and

"The Blitzkrieg legend: The 1940 Campaign in the West" by Karl-Heinz Frieser.

What all did you get? 8)

Regards

David

:wink:
"Whoever wishes to master the art of war must study it continuously. I....am of the opinion that one lifetime is not enough to attain this goal." - Frederick II
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Family just gives me money now as it takes too much time to look all over the web sites, book sites, store sites for the older titles I send on my "want lists"

I got Ace of Aces (U-Boat), Red Road from Stalingrad, The Jungle is Neutral, Island of Fire (bought before Christmas though).
Should keep me occupied for a month or so I figure.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
The relatives tell my wife how much they want to spend and send her a check. She then asks me for a book list. A new twist, she goes to AMAZON and checks for the cheapest price and this way I can get several more books than if I/ she ordered them through the regular catalogs.
I love my wife!!! :D

Regards,

Helmut
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

sniper1shot wrote:Family just gives me money now as it takes too much time to look all over the web sites, book sites, store sites for the older titles I send on my "want lists"

I got Ace of Aces (U-Boat), Red Road from Stalingrad, The Jungle is Neutral, Island of Fire (bought before Christmas though).
Should keep me occupied for a month or so I figure.
Island of Fire is well worth the investment. Best book I bought last year by a mile.
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
KG voss
Supporter

Post by KG voss »

I'm waiting for the Memorial "Totenkopf" from Heimdal..

Otherwise, currently hesitating with some titles, but I have still make a choice..

here they are:
Stopped at stalingrad (hayward)
stalingrad to berlin (ziemke)
Red storm over the Reich (glantz)
In the fire of the eastern front (hendrik verton)
crumbling colossus (mitcham)

and a very good book about the DAS Reich..if it exist at all..
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Helmut wrote:She then asks me for a book list. A new twist, she goes to AMAZON and checks for the cheapest price and this way I can get several more books than if I/ she ordered them through the regular catalogs.
Helmut, my tactics were quite similar. When asked what I wanted for Christmas, the only thing I could come up with was a small reading light for when I have to do hospital watches. Reading in a dark room has always been difficult for me!

Anyway, I remembered I had been making a running list of books and other reference material that I want to acquire. I added some movies and music to it, printed it off, and she was off to the races! Worked out rather well, I might add!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Got Timm Haasler's faboulous "Panzerbrigade 105/Den Westwall halten oder untergehen" and Wolf Keiligs "Das deutsche Heer 1939-1945" 8)

Enough work for the next months :up:

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

I received the following books:

"Nicht ermittelt" Polizeibataillone und die Nachkriegsjustiz by Stefan Klemp
Sowjetische Partisanen in Weißrußland by Bogdan Musial
Hitler's Bandit Hunters: The SS and the Nazi Occupation of Europe by Philip W. Blood
The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939 by Antony Beevor
Das Deutsche Reich und der Zweite Weltkrieg, Bd.4, Der Angriff auf die Sowjetunion.

Unfortunately Santa seems to have forgot to send the map booklet with the last one, so if anyone gets it instead, contact me :wink: .
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Wolfgang Schneider's Das Reich Tigers was my gift to myself this year, and I'm quite enjoying it, as I have written elsewhere!
trollelite
Banned

Post by trollelite »

Finally get a fine copy of OU Letzter Krieg with all those maps and plans from a so-called "Brother of a late Osterreich Bundesheer Officer". It's alwas one of my oldest dream. What a wonderful christmas! Now I don't have any want list for the next year. 8)