Hells Gate

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

tiger007

Hells Gate

Post by tiger007 »

Hi,
I have just bought a copy of Hells Gate from RZM, can anyone tell me if it was a good book, from waht i have seen it looks great.
Thanks
Uncle Joe
Enthusiast

Post by Uncle Joe »

Superb work! I give 9 out of 10. I´d give 10 if Doug had used first person accounts as such instead of converting them into 3rd person narrative and removing some "flavour" in the process. I hope he has avoided this in his Volksgrenadier script!
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Post by maschinengewehr42 »

I couldn't agree more! One of the best books in my library. You won't regret the purchase.
Wiking5th
Contributor

Post by Wiking5th »

And the good news is, as Uncle Joe mentioned, Doug Nash has another book going to the printers very soon if I remember correctly. Defintely will be on my pre-order list! As for Hell's Gate, one of my most prized books in my collection.
Regards,
Wiking5th
tiger007

hells gate

Post by tiger007 »

Thanks very much for your input. Now i cant wait to read it.
OurSepp

Post by OurSepp »

I will agree about Hell's Gate. The best book I have in my limited collection but could Uncle joe give a synopsis of Dougs' new book? I know Doug floats around here maybe he could say.
I only ask because I am already standing in line for the new one and I'd like to know why :D
Uncle Joe
Enthusiast

Post by Uncle Joe »

As far as I know it will tell the story of one particular Volksgrenadier division. I believe Doug himself needs to get involved for more detail!
Wiking5th
Contributor

Doug Nash Next book

Post by Wiking5th »

Do a search under Doug Nash. It will show his description and update as on 11/06. Book is on 272nd VG Div during Hurtgen and beyond. Said it hopes to be published late Spring Early Summer 2007.

Hope Doug does see the question and give us an update. Got my card waiting to pre-order.

Wiking5th
Doug Nash
Author

Victory was Beyond Their Grasp

Post by Doug Nash »

Hi -
Sorry I haven't been in for a visit for a while -
The next book is titled "Victory was Beyond Their Grasp - With the 272nd Volks-Grenadier Division from the Huertgen Forest to the Heart of the Reich," and is due out late spring/summer. The publisher is The Aberjona Press of Bedford, PA - have sent them the manuscript, which is undergoing the second round of proofreading now, plus the photos (100+). Maps are being worked as we speak. Stay tuned - I'll provide updates as more info becomes available.
Thanks for asking and keeping me honest -
Regards,
Doug Nash
Abbott: This sure is a beautiful forest.
Costello: Too bad you can't see it for all those trees!
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Doug,

any new updates on the Forgotten Soldier movie?

script?
actors?
production dates?

let us know if you hear anything...
Doug Nash
Author

Status of TFS movie

Post by Doug Nash »

Well, it's still going, but now the director has decided to take more time publicizing his new movie Black Book and that's taking him away from the TFS movie project. The screenwriter has been pulled away from the script (now about halfway done) by his studio to work on another project, so the whole thing has been pushed back another 6 months or so. I guess that's the way things work in Hollywoodland. The whole TFS movie project has been up and down for almost 6 years now and I'm no longer suprised or frustrated by such delays. I guess it's a natural part of the process.
Hang in there! Hopefully we'll get some more news soon...
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Re: Hells Gate

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Reading it at the moment I can say: welldone, dear Doug :up:

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
kwilper

Post by kwilper »

Jan-Hendrik wrote:Reading it at the moment I can say: welldone, dear Doug :up:

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
So am I, and I can only agree with Jan-Hendrik. Great book! :up:
Wiking5th
Contributor

Post by Wiking5th »

So Doug, it now begs the question. What are you working on mow that we can look forward to?
Thanks,
Wiking5th
Doug Nash
Author

Post by Doug Nash »

Nothing major - Remy from RZM and I are still waiting for copies of Kovel photos from the son-in-law of the SS-PK guy who took them during the battle. Once we get those, we can knock the book out in 6 months. But nothing's happening until then. In the meantime, I've got an article out in the current edition of Armchair General magazine about "Bloody Diversion at Simmerath" about a US infantry company's attempt to seize several bunkers held by the 272nd VGD in the Siegfried Line during January 1945 - that, and a story for Global War Studies, an online publication focusing on WWII. The story will be about "Rommel's Lost Battalions" - those Afrika-Marsch and Tunis-Feld Battalions that were used to build up the Tunis and Bizerte bridgeheads immediately after the Anglo-American landings in NW Afrika. That won't be out until 2011 at the earliest though.
Cheers,
Doug