Books by Georg Maier?

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

heinz kling

Books by Georg Maier?

Post by heinz kling »

Can you kindly tell me the titles and publishers of his books in English? Thanks.
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Fedorowicz has a translation of Drama zwischen Budapest und Wien in the works. The process has been ongoing for several years, but it may get published during 2003.
heinz kling

Thanks for the reply, Marc

Post by heinz kling »

I thought that book was already published and out of print. Seems to me that JJF is a bit slow in translating the Munin/Motorbuch books.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

They are slow for whatever reasons, the economy, resources, or staff. The Das Reich volumes have been "in progress" for years, having had the Munin English rights for their text vols for over 15 years. I ignore any pre-publication offers or date claims from publishers as a general rule. They're rare to release when they say they will, some of the aviation publishers being especially bad in that regard. Readers have no options regards the MUNIN titles as JJF has all English rights even though producing them in a reasonable time is obviously (for some time) outside their ability with their model shop, other topic interests, etc. To bad they don't join with another publisher so things would move along at a better pace in the Munin/Motorbook catagory. They could still do their endless Tiger tank related books with less pressure on whatever needed resources.

Mark
heinz kling

Guess JJF concentrate on their own books first

Post by heinz kling »

They are churning out the Tiger volumes at a fast pace, yet the older Munin/Motorbuch books are published at a glacial pace. I wonder why they don't just commission some guys to do the translation, as that's all about all involved? Also the books are pricey and of uneven quality, though they are still far ahead of the Schiffer books. RJ Bender used to be a prolific publisher on the Waffen SS, now they seem to have slowed down quite a bit. I have their first volume on the LAH, and I am still waiting for the news on the following ones.

But in Germany they are also publishing loads of new books on the more obscure SS divisions, like the 16th, 17th, 18th. Know of any plans to publish them in English?

Regards.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Heinz

I agree on the Tiger topic, I guess they feel its a faster profit as many seem to have an obsessive interest in a vehicle of little operational use compared to others. The prices are rather nuts. The pay for a translator is often the same, or MORE, than an author investing money in doing original research and writing a book.

I was involved regards some of the projects mentioned including 16th, 18th and the research done by vets of 32nd. In many of those cases it is simply the unwillingness of the original authors or researchers to have the books done in English. No logical or rational reasons given as I had publishers arranged who wantd to do them in English and contacted them. A totally illogical and non-constructive situation. Most have no idea of thevast interest or that 10 times as many would sell in English.

Bender does well with militaria books but had very slow reader support from the historian type readers for many books, some of which sold poorly. The Rommel and Latvian Legion books were among them and years to sell a small print run is financially unporfotable. In those instances it is the blindness of readers + the refusal of chain book stores to carry the texts (they only special order. The LAH author has been ill but is well into another volume in that series. He did my SS in Silver German Crooss holder book and has the 1st volume of the Gold volumes now. I'm half way through the 2nd. He also has several other non-collecting, historical type texts in progress.

Mark
heinz kling

Do they even hold rights to the KTB?

Post by heinz kling »

I have a copy of the GvB KTB book in German, as well as the Horst Wessel in 2 volumes plus one book on the RFSS, though the prices are extrememly expensive, though modest compared to what JJF is charging (e.g. the Peiper book by Agte is Euro 65.50, the English translation is double that, and normally you don't need to pay for postage if you order from Germany, and in my case, Buchdienst DVG). Also in Germany they have produced so many memoirs and studies that deserve to be read by the English speaking world, and certainly the authors will get their views read further and earning more royalties. So I wonder why they arereluctant to have their works translated? And can you not work out some agreement with the verlag, as I think it's mostly,because of PC reasons, one or two that braved themselves to publish books on the Waffen SS?
heinz kling

Further

Post by heinz kling »

The Germans, especially the older ones, are quite insular and suspicious, so I think normally you need a German to deal with the translation issues.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Heinz

Some (not all) US publishers pay so small a royalty for rights in English (or at all to authors) its an insult and I can't blame authors in those cases. I doubt politics a concern at all, it matters zero here. Also some publishers have no social skills in dealings with people or understanding anything beyond profit. They pay nothing and expect everything. To some degree its the fault of wanting ALL profit. Steiner's 2 books should have been done years ago. I tried to have the 18SS vols in English and connected publisher to authors. The exchange failed. Same with several other books. The Dutch vols by Jan Vincx also should be done. Publishers for the most part want fast, low costs spent with fast high profits in return. Its often greed that prevents progress. Always remember, exept for 1 or 2, publishers have ZERO knowledge of the topic they publish. Just profits compared to costs.

Best
Mark
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Looks like they're finally going to release it (Drama Between Budapest and Vienna) this summer.

http://www.jjfpub.mb.ca/news.htm
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

JJF prefers blurry photo albums to texts, it probably costs les to pay the small royalties an author gets than to pay a translator. Keep in mind the actual knowledge of a publisher is not as high as a reader. For example, they sell author bookplates and list former Waffen-SS Obersturmbannführer Otto Weidinger as an Oakleaves holder. How many don't know he won the Swords ?? (and they're translating his books !)

Mark
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

I'm just reading the German edition and to tell you the truth I'm a bit disappointed. On the 600 pages (large format) there is practically no detailed description of battles that took place in Hungary and Austria, virtually no personal accounts and most of the material comes from various KTBs (HG Süd and AOK6). Maybe I've expected a bit to much after hearing so many good things about this book on some other forums.
This book is a VERY, VERY detailed analysis of general Balck's critique over the performances of Waffen-SS units in Hungary&Austria in 1945.
So just bear this in mind, when you consider paying around $100 for this book.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Opinions vary as des material sought. To me personal accounts by privates are boring and redundant. They all start to sound the same. I prefer the overall or higher perspective. Events that resulted in major awards in specific are different, but the data obtained from a string of accounts at platoon level TEACHES me nothing.

Mark
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Mark you're absolutely right, opinions vary and this is also the reason for my post to caution everyone interested in the battles in Hungary/Austria 1945 before buying this book, because they won't find any new info in it. Battles like Biscke, Pettend, Stuhlweißenburg and even Budapest and Wien are covered rather poorly (the main source being HG Süd's and AOK6's KTBs), there's practically no descriptions of bellow division level actions.