Author Critique: Richard Landwehr

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

NICK

Author Critique: Richard Landwehr

Post by NICK »

Does anyone know any info on this author ie) age , whethwer he had any military service, trouble with the law or governments because of his somewhat revisionist writings? Just curious about the guy.thanks
D.W.
Enthusiast

Post by D.W. »

I think the guy is well known for writing about foreign SS divisions such as Charlemagne, Wallonien and the one book I own by him is "Fighting for Freedom, The Ukrainian Volunteer Division of the Waffen SS" (14th "Galizien").

Since I have not yet read this book I can't comment on his writing style but the book seems quite thorough in that it discusses how the division came about, its training, its combat record and its ultimate fate (shipment to a POW camp in Italy and the direct intervention of the Pope on religious grounds saved most from Soviet captivity) and there is one book by Landwehr I would really like to see a review on.

Budapest: The Stalingrad of the Waffen-SS.
pimberg
Supporter

Post by pimberg »

Try this URL for a picture of Landwehr:

http://www.militaryhistorybooks.com/topic_rl.htm
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Landwehr is about 52, and lives in southwestern Oregon. I talk to him on the phone once in a while, arranging for research material, and he seems like a very pleasant man who, as he shows in his writings, is outraged by what he considers the hypocrisy and injustice that surrounds the study of World War 2. He has mentioned in Sigrunen that he has been convicted in absentia by a German court for spreading the symbols of illegal Nazi organizations, so he would likely be arrested if he ever tried to enter Germany.
Wurger
Contributor

Landwehr

Post by Wurger »

Richard Landwehr is an interesting character. He has many friends within the ranks of the former Wehrmacht and SS, as well as with post-war interest groups such the now defunct HIAG. Consequently, he has access to a great deal of resource material that other authors could only hope to get their hands on. Consequently, Landwehr has been able to publish on some pretty obscure subjects.

However, as mentioned in the posts above, his work is widely considered to be revisionist at best, although talk of apologist and Neo-Nazi literature is often connected to his name. I've read a few of his books and, although some of you will disagree with me, haven't been impressed with either the quality of his research or the slant of his politics. For example, I found his "Fighting for Freedom" to be rife with errors and illogical in its revisionist arguments concerning Ukrainian service. In my opinion, although Landwehr's books may in some cases be the only ones available on some subjects, they should be used by the researcher with a great deal of caution.

Regards,

Wurger