books about Operation Barbarossa

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

colonel-scarecrow

books about Operation Barbarossa

Post by colonel-scarecrow »

Can anyone pls recommend me a book about Operation Barbarossa, which gives a day-to-day minutae of the whole front and in great detail?
I would prefer a book from a neutral point of view but i dont mind a german point of view.

thanks for any help, :D
kordts
Supporter

Post by kordts »

"Hitler moves East" by Paul Carrell. Not just pro-German but pro-Hitler. Still, a good primer.
Here dead lie we because we did not choose
To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose;
But young men think it is, and we were young.
Here Dead Lie We by A.E. Houseman
Michael N. Ryan
Enthusiast

Post by Michael N. Ryan »

I find Images of Barbarossa by Christopher Ailsby to be most informative.

However Osprey has come out with some good books on the subject. There is the Trilogy OPERATION BARBAROSSA by Robert Kirchubal of which the first two books (Army Group South and Army Group North) are covered. The final book of the series on Army Group Center has yet to come out.

They have also published MOSCOW 1941 by Robert Forczyk which covers the battle of Moscow.

They're top quality books. Excellent reading.
Mike Higgins
Supporter

Post by Mike Higgins »

"The Russo-German War 1941-45" by Albert Seaton.
colonel-scarecrow

hi hagen
"The Russo-German War 1941-45" by Albert Seaton.
This book doesn't talk just about operation Barbarossa but about the whole war. What i want is a very detailed account of Operation barbaroassa not the whole war :?

thanks for you help:)
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Hi Scarecrow,

although it covers the whole of the war on the Eastern Front, Alan Clarke's Barbarossa gives quite a lot of detail on the opening stages of the campaign IIRC.

Same goes for Eickson's Road to Stalingrad, which I personally find tough going stylistically.
Regards

Howard
colonel-scarecrow

hi howard

Yes, i have Alan Clark's Barbarossa but i was wondering if there is a book which gives a more detailed account of Barbarossa. I m looking for a very "dry" and detailed book about the fighting, the units involved, the major battles...etc

Allan Clark's book focuses much more on the reasons, the politics involved, the involvement of Hitler and Stalin in the war, and the strategic side and the commanders rather than the battles themselves, which are only given in rather general overview.

thanks for you help :D
Jake
Contributor

Post by Jake »

Hi colonel-scarecrow

'War Without Garlands' by Robert Kershaw is the best book I have read on Operation Barbarossa and one of the best examples of military history I've ever read. It might not have exactly the details you're looking for, but it does concentrate on the (mainly German) front-line experience. I think it's a 'must read' if you're interested in the subject.

Regards
Jake
GaryD
Supporter

Post by GaryD »

It's not the whole campaign, but BARBAROSSA, FIRST 7 DAYS, by Will Fowler, is fair.