Hitler's gauls by Jonathan trigg

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

book lover
Supporter

Hitler's gauls by Jonathan trigg

Post by book lover »

Hi,Has anybody read this new book yet?
It is about the 33rd waffen ss french Charlemage division.

Sounds interesting.

Cheers,
jon trigg

Post by jon trigg »

I've read it and its excellent! concentrates on the battles the unit fought and very readable, not as detailed as Robert Forbes book 'Pour L'Europe' but still very good.
I am writing a series of books on non-Reich German Waffen SS units, the first is on French volunteers.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

I'm slightly suspicious of this "review" as it seems to come from the author. :D

I've yet to see a copy in a bookshop. I looked for it in Motor Books and Foyles the other week in London, but without success. Time for an ILL I think...
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
jon trigg

Post by jon trigg »

you've got me! yes it is my book but trust me its still very good, honest! I've been a member of Felgrau for some time and used it to help research the book, and will use it to research all the rest in the series, my intention is to write one for each major foreign formation and combine some where it makes sense such as the 13th Handschar and the 23rd Kama. The major Volksdeutsche units will get the same as will the Baltic divisions. Hitler's Gauls is my first book so I'm obviously as keen as mustard to get people reading it and giving me feedback. I would love to know what people think, is it good, what do thy like and what don't they like etc.
If you do want to buy it you can find it on Amazon and Tesco.com as well as on the publishers site of Tempus Publishing. If you do read it I'd very much value your thoughts.
I am writing a series of books on non-Reich German Waffen SS units, the first is on French volunteers.
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

jon trigg wrote:you've got me! yes it is my book but trust me its still very good, honest! I've been a member of Felgrau for some time and used it to help research the book, and will use it to research all the rest in the series, my intention is to write one for each major foreign formation and combine some where it makes sense such as the 13th Handschar and the 23rd Kama. The major Volksdeutsche units will get the same as will the Baltic divisions. Hitler's Gauls is my first book so I'm obviously as keen as mustard to get people reading it and giving me feedback. I would love to know what people think, is it good, what do thy like and what don't they like etc.
If you do want to buy it you can find it on Amazon and Tesco.com as well as on the publishers site of Tempus Publishing. If you do read it I'd very much value your thoughts.
Hi Jon,

Naturally, as an older person, I greatly admire your ambition and energy and wish you nothing but the very, very best for the successful completion of your writing project. That I still had 25% of your enthusiasm!

However, curiosity gets the better of me and I need to ask a couple of questions. (1) Haven't several books already appeared in various languages over the past 50 years about all of these non-Reichsdeutsche Waffen-SS Divisionen? (2) Do your books include any fresh primary research in the archives of their parent countries or interviews with surviving veterans, provided any are left, that is?

It just seems like a lot has been written on this subject, but perhaps for those who have it as their primary interest there is no such thing as too many or too much.

--Lorenz
jon trigg

Post by jon trigg »

Hi Lorenz, firstly thank you very much for your kind words, reasearching and writing the book has been a challenge and a pleasure for the past 2 years and hopefully one task that will bring some enjoyment to others, and I'm sure you have just as much energy and enthusiasm as I have!
You are right that the subject of non-Reichsdeutsche fighting alongside the Germans during the war has been covered in a myriad of books but I believe there is always a fresh audience to be tapped into or equally a new perspectiev to be taken. I do not consider myself a literacy giant or an original thinker, nothing so grand I'm afriad, its just that as an avid reader of anything to do with these type of formatiosn I thought that they had fascinating stories to be told that had only reached such a small number of possible readers. What I wanted to do was to try and make the subjects more accessible to a wider audience, so focus less on admittedly important detail such as uniform, insignia, minutiae of organisation and try to rely more on the narrative and give them a human face. With that in mind I chose 3 veterans (unfortunately only 1 is still alive) and followed their story through from pre-war, invasion, occupation, volunteering and combat all the way through to post-war. I tried to keep the book shorter than the definitive studies such as Robert Forbes 'Pour L'Europe' which is in my view the absolute best on the subject so that other types of readers wouldn't be put off.
As for research I studied documents from the Bundersarchiv (they were very helpful) but could get little help from the French National Archives. I also wrote and spoke to as many surviving veterans as I could contact, they were extremely helpful and supplied me with pictures, stories and answered endless questiosn from me with great good humor. I wouldn't presume to say that my work was awesomely original but what I hope is that someone who hasn't looked at the subject before because its a bit daunting will look through my book, read it and decide that it is an interesting subject that they would like to know more about it and they will then get other better books and so on, I can hope anyway!
Jon
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

jon trigg wrote:Hi Lorenz, firstly thank you very much for your kind words, reasearching and writing the book has been a challenge and a pleasure for the past 2 years and hopefully one task that will bring some enjoyment to others, and I'm sure you have just as much energy and enthusiasm as I have!
You are right that the subject of non-Reichsdeutsche fighting alongside the Germans during the war has been covered in a myriad of books but I believe there is always a fresh audience to be tapped into or equally a new perspectiev to be taken. I do not consider myself a literacy giant or an original thinker, nothing so grand I'm afriad, its just that as an avid reader of anything to do with these type of formatiosn I thought that they had fascinating stories to be told that had only reached such a small number of possible readers. What I wanted to do was to try and make the subjects more accessible to a wider audience, so focus less on admittedly important detail such as uniform, insignia, minutiae of organisation and try to rely more on the narrative and give them a human face. With that in mind I chose 3 veterans (unfortunately only 1 is still alive) and followed their story through from pre-war, invasion, occupation, volunteering and combat all the way through to post-war. I tried to keep the book shorter than the definitive studies such as Robert Forbes 'Pour L'Europe' which is in my view the absolute best on the subject so that other types of readers wouldn't be put off.
As for research I studied documents from the Bundersarchiv (they were very helpful) but could get little help from the French National Archives. I also wrote and spoke to as many surviving veterans as I could contact, they were extremely helpful and supplied me with pictures, stories and answered endless questiosn from me with great good humor. I wouldn't presume to say that my work was awesomely original but what I hope is that someone who hasn't looked at the subject before because its a bit daunting will look through my book, read it and decide that it is an interesting subject that they would like to know more about it and they will then get other better books and so on, I can hope anyway!
Jon
Excellent reply, Jon. That's exactly what I was trying to find out for the benefit of your prospective readership: what new information or fresh perspective have you brought to bear that will make those readers want to buy the book? It seems that you do indeed have one in relating the personal accounts of veterans who served with the unit. That will be your principal selling point to attract the older and more jaded reader who already has books and reference works on the subject. Books are becoming increasingly difficult to sell these days because of the internet, so every author needs a fresh approach if they expect to hit their sales target.

Again, the very best of luck!

--Lorenz
book lover
Supporter

Post by book lover »

Hi,Thanks for the info.I think the discussion has peaked my interest.I love first person accounts from veterans,so I will buy the book.If it is interesting i will buy the other volumns as well.I think getting veterans personal experiences in print is very important.In a few years all of that generation will be lost to history.I wish you all the best Mr trigg.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi booklover,

I agree that getting veterans' memoirs in print is a good thing.

However, one must remain particularly sceptical about the memoirs of foreign volunteers to the Waffen-SS. Many were highly politicised individuals and technical traitors to their countries. They often have very particular political positions and personal reputations to defend. Furthermore, those willing to be available for interview are sel-selecting.

Virtually no veteran knowingly under sells his story, if only because the rest of us are only interested in the highlights. What is more, only sympathetic writers seem to have access to Waffen-SS veterans. We have discussed the "gatekeeper" syndrome here on Feldgrau before.

That said, none of this precludes books on the foreign W-SS being good. Indeed, in my opinion, the best books on the subject seem to be amongst those on such foreign eastern European formations as 13th and 14th W-SS Divisions.

Cheers,

Sid.
pimberg
Supporter

Post by pimberg »

Hi Sid,

I believe your points apply to any person (veteran, politician, etc. etc.). All people, from whatever persuation, when interviewed and/or written about, defend their personal reputations, sel-selecting, would never under-sell their story and would try to be selective as to who can interview them. It is basically human nature.

If anything, German veterans I know are very reluctant to be interviewed and/or sell their story to anyone because they have so often had their views twisted, purposely been taken at of context and basically have been quoted on something they have never stated nor even alluded to. Read some of the rubbish Rupert Butler, Guido Knopf and others have written. All in a negative way.

I can stand corrected but allied veterans never seem to encounter this.

All the best to your on-going research Jon Trigg. I'll look forward to your current book when it comes Down-Under.

Regards,
Peter
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi pimberg,

True. Similar general considerations do affect other groups. However, many foreign W-SS are in a peculiar position not shared by others. Many were highly politicised and as traitors their personal reputations are at stake. These are not pressures on Western Allied servicemen.

I am not entirely happy with the use Rupert Butler made of material I supplied him in the past. He is a journalist by trade, not a historian, and always over sensationalises. I therefore have only one of his books. I was unaware that he had distorted what veterans had told him. What specifically did he misrepresent?

Cheers,

Sid.
jon trigg

Post by jon trigg »

Ho to you all,
thanks Lorenz for your best wishes, I hope my book lives up to your expectations, I can only say that I worked extremely hard on it and it is the best I could make it.
As for Book Lover thnaks for deciding to buy my book, I hope it doesn't disappoint. and Pimberg you can buy the book on the net if you want through Amazon.com or even Tesco.com, go on you know you want to!
I agree with a lot of the comments made, its through the veterans that we can really get such a feel for the events, but as a ahistorian it is also true you need to take into account the background, prejudices and perspectives of that individual. No one is perfect and everyone wants to look good to posterity, the worst disservice a writer can mkae is to swallow at face value everything he or she is told without casting a critical eye over it, but at the same time you must be prepared to give the veteran a sympathetic hearing if you're ever going to get them to tlak to you. I always start with a letter to any veteran where I state clearly and unambiguously that I am a historian with no political axe to grind and that I am not an aplogist of any sort, if they are happy to talk to me under those circumstance then great but if they don't want to then thats sad but those are the rules. So far no-one has refused to talk to me but the challenge is always to try and find veterans before they are all gone and hopefully get to talk to those who are not 'rent a quote', and trust me there are far better writers out there than me who know far more on the subjects but my hope is that I do have something interesting to say and present an unbiased picture. Is it quite possible I think to deplore their politica at the same time as admiring their courage.
Anyway enough rabbiting from me, hope you enjoy the series!
Jon Trigg
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Jon,

Well put.

Good luck,

Sid.