Devil's Guard

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Imad
Contributor

Devil's Guard

Post by Imad »

Hello
There seems to be some controversy about George Elford's "Devil's Guard". It claims to be a non fictional work but there are many who would dispute that. However I have not heard anyone give any concrete EVIDENCE for claiming that the book is fictional. Evidence for a work is usually internal and external. If anyone in this forum has any evidence for doubting the authenticity of the book, I would like to hear from them.
Imad
Cry 'havoc' and let slip... the dogs of war
Spandau
Contributor

Post by Spandau »

Ave Imad,

I haven't read it all the way through so I can't give any factual evidence. Just flip through it and decide for yourself. It has the feel of a novel. Look at it from a literary standpoint and you (at least I do) will have trouble believing that it is nonfiction.

I know that is not really what you were asking for, but those were my reasons for passing it off as an action novel.

Vale,

-Spandau
If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze into you.
Imad
Contributor

Post by Imad »

Hello Spandau
I was wondering how the conversations in the book were remembered in such detail after three decades. Maybe that's one of the things you're referring to?
On another occasion, "Wagemuller" refers to U.S Patton tanks in WW2, which I know is incorrect, but that could have been an honest mistake.
Imad
Cry 'havoc' and let slip... the dogs of war
Spandau
Contributor

Post by Spandau »

Imad wrote:Hello Spandau
I was wondering how the conversations in the book were remembered in such detail after three decades. Maybe that's one of the things you're referring to?
Ave Imad,

That among just the other action-fiend attitudes of the book. Not only is the dialogue too detailed, it doesn't ring true to me. I have read quite a few memoirs and accounts and this doesn't sound like any of them, not even other Vietnam accounts.

Vale,

-Spandau
If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze into you.