Book on Peiper ?

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

CEE
Supporter

Book on Peiper ?

Post by CEE »

I see there are several books on Joachim "Jochen" Peiper. Anyone care to suggest which might be the best? Eric
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Hello Eric,
Without any prejudice either way I'd recommend Patrick Agtes book on Peiper published by Fedorowicz, see link below.
I've got a copy and say it is fairly comprehensive on the man.

http://www.jjfpub.mb.ca/memoirs.htm

Hope this helps, no doubt we'll see other suggestions!
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
CEE
Supporter

Post by CEE »

Hello Simon,

I've been eying Agte's book at Amazon for a while. Appreciate your opinion and will mosty likely order it. Apologise if I'm being presumptious , but on the subject of SS combat commanders, would you by any chance now of comprehensive works on these or be able to suggest a "decent" book on the SS organisation as a whole?

Thanks again,
Eric
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Mark Yerger's two books on Waffen SS commanders is an outstanding and indispensable source.
Kurt Meyer's memoirs are a must, as are 1SS & 12SS divisional histories (I found Das Reich to be very dull).
As far as a general history of the Waffen SS goes, George Stein's book is old but I don't think it's been bettered.
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
CEE
Supporter

Post by CEE »

Wonderful, that´s just the info I wanted. Actually I just finished reading Grenadier by Kurt Meyer, which made a deep impression. He was a soldiers soldier ( in war and in peace) in the truest sense of the word and a combat commander second to none. Thanks again, Eric
Ridgeback
Supporter

Post by Ridgeback »

If I may add my opinion, I'd have to go with Agte's book on Peiper. Its a huge book and very in depth and IMHO worth the cost. There are several other books on Peiper including "Devils Adjutant" by Reynolds which is pretty good if funds are tight, Charles Whiting has also done several books relating to Peiper.

As regards other titles, Mark Yergers 2 "Waffen SS Commanders" volumes are superb, well up there as my favourite books they are indispensible if you wish to know about some of the personalities who got out there and created the Waffen SS "legend".

As well as the 1st, 2nd and 12th SS histories mentioned the Polizei history is also very good as is the Wiking history by Stassner.

Hope this helps.

Martin
CEE
Supporter

Post by CEE »

Your opinion is welcome. I have already ordered both volumes of Yergers SS Commanders as well as Agtes book on Peiper. I do hope they let me read them at the nut farm, for now my wife is gathering signatures to have me commited ( she does not share my interest) :?
Thanks again,
Eric
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

I would recommend the book by Jens Westemeier about Peiper !

Jan-Hendrik
Ridgeback
Supporter

Post by Ridgeback »

Jan,

Could you supply a bit more info on the Westemeier book please.

Eric,

I know the feeling I have been known to have books posted to friends and relatives houses just to keep the peace with the "boss". Did you know that it is perfectly ok to buy shoes, handbags and make up but books are not a necessity!!!

Regards

Martin
CEE
Supporter

Post by CEE »

I have not run across Westmeiers book, so I wouldn´t mind hearing more about it either Jan. Still, thanks. I will try doing a search for it.

If I bought a new book each time the "old ball and chain" bought one of the items you mentioned I could start a Historical Society... . Eric[/quote]
CEE
Supporter

Post by CEE »

Good, Krichter33. I ordered Agtes book along with Yergers 2 on the SS commanders . Look forwards to reading ithem . Thanks,Eric
Sieg

Re: Book on Peiper ?

Post by Sieg »

CEE wrote:I see there are several books on Joachim "Jochen" Peiper. Anyone care to suggest which might be the best? Eric
Hallo guys - i've been a WWII enthusiast for years but only just found this forum.:(

Anyway i am surprised nobody has mentioned 'The Devil's Adjutant' by Michael Reynolds (Spellmount):

This book is outstanding and Michael Reynolds has received a lot of praise from historians, military journals and veterans of both sides. The book is a meticulously researched account of Kampfgruppe Peiper during the Ardennes offensive and part biography of Peiper himself. The book goes through Peiper's/Leibstandarte's history and weapons systems, tactics, organisation and morale of opposing sides before telling the (strictly factual but riveting) story of KG Peiper and finishes with Peiper's relatively short life after the war. The book feautures many, many 'eye-witness' accounts of the action weaved into the narrative plus some nice photos, maps and orders of battle. Reynolds writes in an extremely readable and engaging style and is completely impartial and unbiased.

I have an extensive WWII book collection and i have read this 3 or 4 times and it even inspired me to visit the Ardennes area through which KG Peiper advanced - i have photographs of myself next to Dollinger's King Tiger 213 in La Gleize.

I can not recommend this book highly enough and equally good (if not better) is Reynold's 'Steel Inferno: 1SS Panzer corps in Normandy' :!: :!:
behblc
Associate

Under rated.

Post by behblc »

Underarted.
Agate's book is good but he is on the hero trail.
Have to ask if he is always objective ?
Pieper must have known being so close to Himmler exactly what was goin on in terms of SS ambitions and treatments within the occupied lands.
" Life , to be sure is nothing much to loose ; But young men think it is , and we were young . "
A.E. Housman.

" The old lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori. " Wilfred Owen (M.C.).
HSSPF
Supporter

So what?

Post by HSSPF »

Westermeier is just out to get Peiper, and he shamelessly plugged his own boobkon Amazon, giving it 5 stars before the admin there yanked it - proof of how low he can stoop to push his crap.
Emil
Supporter

Post by Emil »

Westemeier finally brings out the truth about Peiper. HSSPF does not like that for obvious reasons but that does not make the book "crap".

Also see: Westemeier about Peiper (click).