A MUST HAVE BOOK

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

pimberg
Supporter

A MUST HAVE BOOK

Post by pimberg »

Anyone who has a serious interest in the Waffen-SS and German history in general must buy Mark Yerger's latest Book : Volume 2 German-Cross Holders of the SS and Police (Bender Publishing). It is something special.

I find it hard to believe how someone can go into so much detail with what must be extremely time consuming research to state the least.

Thank you for sharing this Mark. A GREAT BOOK !
Stalingrad
Contributor

Post by Stalingrad »

Sounds great! I'ts on my list 8)
Wo ist die Feldküche?
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Thanks Peter, have got a lot of nice e-mails from those who bought it early.

Best,
Mark C. Yerger
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

I have been reading Mark Yerger’s new book, volume 2 of “German Holders of the SS and Police” throughout the week since my copy arrived last Monday. It’s about the holders of the Deutsche Kreuz in Gold from the 2.SS-Panzer Division “Das Reich”. There are plenty of new previously unpublished photos that provide a good case study in the variations in uniforms and insignias worn by members of the Waffen-SS during its existence. The award justifications read like good short stories. There is a complete Führerstellen-Besetzungsliste that shows the exact assignment of every officer in the division shortly before it returned to Russia in early 1943. I particularly enjoyed looking at the post-war photos of various personalities that Mark had taken while attending the Regiment "Der Führer" veteran reunions.

Mark Yerger has worked hard to bring us a top-quality book that any collector or researcher should enjoy reading. It is a hard-bound book that is well constructed and will make a fine addition to your library. You can get your copy for only $45 from Bender Publishing at

http://www.bender-publishing.com/

John
knieptang
Enthusiast

Post by knieptang »

You can get your copy for only $50 from Bender Publishing at...
50,- Dollars for well known facts, you are serious, with a little research all of these "news" can be found online, or in other books.

"Schleichwerbung", nothing else! :x

Michael
pimberg
Supporter

Post by pimberg »

Michael,

With all due respect I do not believe you know what you are talking about. I have been reading all I can on personalities of the W-SS for over 20 years. If your above post relates to books by the likes of Butler, Quarrie, Williamson, Ailsby, then I totally agree with you

In regard to all the books by Mark Yerger you are so very wrong. I do not wish to get into an argument, and I strive to respect everyone's opinion, but when someone is so wrong they need to be told.

Possibly I'm wrong if you can prove to me where one can find information (other than something like date of birth, etc.) in other books and/or "online", pictures and information on:
+ Wolfgang Otto
+ Ludwig Ramies
+ Johannes Schulzer
+ Eberhard Telkamp

The above is only a very very small example. Personally I do not believe you even have the latest book by Mark Yerger, therefore I regret wasting my time going on with this post.

Regards,
Peter .
Melbourne, Australia
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Peter is absolutely right. If anybody knows where on-line or anywhere else translations in english of the Vorschlags/Recommendations for awards can be found from this book or for the members of any other division can be found, please let us know. Mark's work is original.

John
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Thanks John and Peter

The lists of just names with unit only were done by Scheibert and Patzwall. There are no full biographical studies of German Cross holders of the SS or POlice published in any language aside from my own, and the tangent data included is more than most authors have in an entire book. I'd appreciate knowing where this supposed data compliation is, considering the vast amount of original documentation, veteran input and photos, and other material used in my newest (and all previous) books. I do find many COPY what I do after its published. I assume the poster, as Peter said, both neither has the book and obviously knows little about the subject.

Mark C. Yerger
Michael Miller / ABR
Author

Post by Michael Miller / ABR »

Recently received my copy, and will write about it in greater detail shortly.

First impressions- the best work you've done yet, Mark. The combined text and photos bring these men to life in a way no other work ever has or will. The hundreds of photos, the vast majority of which have never been published elsewhere, are fascinating and so sharp & clear that one feels he could step right into them. Maybe a corny observation, but true. The author continues with translations of the original award recommendations for a decoration that required numerous individual acts of bravery or leadership. Regardless of one's opinion of the SS and its membership as a whole, it is impossible not to acknowledge the courage and determination of these soldiers.

Worthy of five stars (out of five), no doubt about it.

Best regards and Congratulations,
~ Mike
"I am a historian before I am a Christian; my object is simply to find out how the things actually occurred."

~Leopold von Ranke, 19th Century German Historian
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Thanks for the comments Mike

Mark C. Yerger
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

knieptang wrote:
You can get your copy for only $50 from Bender Publishing at...
50,- Dollars for well known facts, you are serious, with a little research all of these "news" can be found online, or in other books.

"Schleichwerbung", nothing else! :x

Michael
No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. The reviews will only influence people so much. At the end of the day people have a choice to spend $50 or not. Not worth worrying about in my book
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Its doing well and stands on its own as has everything else I've done. I ignore the comments of someone made without even seeing the book.

Best
Mark C. Yerger
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

but when someone is so wrong they need to be told.
I can't put my finger on it but this one sentence really bothers me. :?

Not sure what they need to be told.....that you like the book??
that a lot of work went into it??

All the statement was, was that the member thought he could find most of the info if he really wanted to. Not sure if he can or will but that is all he said.

Personally, $50US (plus shipping) is a bit high for my blood but probably will pick one up in the future.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Ridgeback
Supporter

Post by Ridgeback »

Have recently got both volume I & II and I've got to say the amount of info contained in them both is nothing short of mind blowing! I think they are worth the asking price, but if you hunt around a little you may find them cheaper.

With reference to the above comment about finding the info on-line, well I've typed a few names into various search engines and basically bugger all has come up!

Mark obviously takes great pride in his work and the amount of research he has undertaken must be staggering. I have a few of Mark's books from his Fedorowicz paperbacks to these latest titles (always had a soft spot for his 2 Waffen SS Commanders vols.).

If you read this Mark could you tell me how many copies of Knights of Steel vol. 1 were published as I have not got a copy and they appear to be like the proverbial "Rocking Horse S**t".

Regards
Martin
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Dear Martin

Thanks for your nice comment (and obviously reading my stuff since early on). Send me a PM regards your book need.

Best
Mark C. Yerger