Book Review #3

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

sniper1shot

Book Review #3

Post by sniper1shot »

Title: Waffen SS Encyclopedia
Author: Marc J. Rikmenspoel
Publisher: Aberjona Press
ISBN: 0-9717650-8-1
Stars:
5 (Out of 5)
Ok, this is the last review until I finish a few more books.....anyone got any titles, LOL
OK, I found this book really well done and to the point. I would say it is more along the research type of book, as it is NOT a memoir or not really a story.
The chapters cover everything I would want to know about the SS. SS units, weapons used, Bio's on major characters (brief but with good information, and a good read). How the SS DIV were broken down and of course where the Divisions fought, and how they ended the war. One of the chapters covers all the countries that supplied volunteers to the German elite units and has a break down of wounded/killed and what happened to the soldiers at wars end. This is a really good read in my mind.
Most of the photos have not been seen by me. I found myself going back to this book to re-read certain chapters to help explain other books. I know I will be using this book to compliment later books.
Highly recommended as a research book.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Rand
Supporter

Post by Rand »

Hey Sniper1shot, I always take the time to read your reviews. Thanks for posting them.

I was wondering if this book contains anything on British volunteers, or on the British Free Corps itself?

Cheers, Rand.
Rohrbach
Supporter

Post by Rohrbach »

Same here, I like the reviews. Was wondering though if in the subject title line for your review threads you could include the title of the book too?

Thanks
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Hey, thanks for the words of praise......they are appreciated.
Yes, there are 3.5 pages on the British "contribution" to the SS, though there really was nothing new. The chapter does mention some of the key figures and what became of them, this is what I liked.....were you looking for anyone inparticular??

Yes, I can post the title of the book in the heading......
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Title: Waffen SS Encyclopedia
Author: Marc J. Rikmenspoel

It would be very interesting to know how this work compares to these earlier studies on the Waffen-SS in terms on scope, inclusiveness, thoroughness, etc.:

KLEITMANN, Dr. K.-G. Die Waffen-SS: Eine Dokumentation. Osnabrück: Verlag Der Freiwillige, 1965.
MUÑOZ, Antonio J. Forgotten Legions: Obscure Combat Formations of the Waffen-SS. Boulder (CO): Paladin Press, 1991.
STEIN, George H. The Waffen SS: Hitler’s Elite Guard at War 1939-1945. Ithaca (NY): Cornell Univ. Press, 1966.
TAYLOR, Hugh Page and Roger James Bender. Uniforms, Organization and History of the Waffen-SS. San Jose (CA): R. James Bender Publishing, 1969-1982. 5 volumes.

Hundreds of books have been written about the Waffen-SS over the past 60 years, and some of us would be interested in knowing if the Rikmenspoel work adds anything to what has already been said.

--Lorenz
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

I have read only one of these titles and that was some time ago. If you know nothing on the SS, then this book would be perfect for you. Every SS Div is mentioned with descriptions of what/why/where/when. It does NOT go into every battle that these Div fought, though it does mention the areas they fought in.
If you are a hard core researcher and need to know where each individual tank, of a particular unit, went and what happend, this is not the book for you.
If you are looking for any unit in specific, you might want to talk to Mark Yerger (Forum member/moderator) as I believe he has quite the knowledge and research background on the SS.
The SS Encyclopedia just puts all the info in one easy to follow book. Bios of commanders, Units that supplied the Germans, Weapons used by the SS, and areas of operations......
If you have read all those other titles you probably have all the info you need and this book won't offer anything new.
Just my two-bits.
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Thanks, sniper1shot, that's very helpful and more or less what I had gathered. I've been buying books on the Waffen-SS here and there since 1968, so I don't think Marc's title will add anything new. However, I certainly applaud his hard work in putting everything together between two covers for the younger set so they don't have to buy dozens of separate titles like I did. Taylor and Bender only did the first 20 divisions and then quit. Kleitmann is relatively complete but provides no more than a thumbnail paragraph or two on each division and brigade, and only a sentence or two on smaller formations. Stein, or course, is unacceptably sketchy and full of omissions and errors because it was the first attempt to relate the history of the Waffen-SS in English. So Marc's book will be a very handy reference for the newbies and the under 60 set.

--Lorenz
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Actually, you probably WILL get something from my book, and that's detailed information on the Germanic Waffen-SS that's never appeared in English before. Sure, bits and pieces of it have (especially the British), but never in such a comprehensive manner. It was a "a bone" I threw to those who already have a shelf full of books, to give them something substantial to enjoy in a book that otherwise will repeat information for them.

Thanks for the good words everyone!
Bittrich
Contributor

Waffen-SS

Post by Bittrich »

Marc,
Personally I enjoyed your book. I like the format of the book and its style. To me it is a reference book to help me understand positioning of certain units, their make up and bios of some of their commanders. To me it was worth every cent I paid for it.

I would like to know what other projects that you are working on? That is if you don't mind me asking?

Good luck Marc on your future works.
To those who fought reguardless of nationality
Ridgeback
Supporter

Post by Ridgeback »

I agree with the authors comments on this one, I did find some useful info on the Germanic SS that I'd not come across before. Given the price of the book I found this info worth the cost of the book in itself.