Out-of-print book updates

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Lexxx
Supporter

Campaign in Russia

Post by Lexxx »

Igorn wrote:
Helmut Von Moltke wrote:well, sometimes out of print books are not that expensive, if you get them at second hand bookstores in London. My friend bought his version of "Campaign in Russia" by Leon Degrelle, printed in the 1980s, now rare, for only a few pounds in the London Second Hand bookstores, while on Amazon it might cost like 50 US. There there are also a whole load of books about German military, some even from the 1960s. :shock:
I wonder if you know where one can get "Campaign in Russia" by Leon Degrelle. I am ready to pay 50 USD or slightly more for this book.

Thanks and Regards,
I am completely dumbfounded why no publisher (especially one like Stackpole) has not reprinted Degrelle's CAMPAIGN IN RUSSIA. I know publishers monitor this site . . . do one of you have a response?
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Gentlemen, I proudly announce on of the greatest news of the year 8-)

The history of 1943-1945 by Kortenhaus will be reprinted by Wolfgang Schneider's Armor Research!

As from the original Vol. are only existing 80 copies this will be the great chance for all collectors and researches to get it. The original anouncement by Mr.Schneider:
SUBSKRIPTIONSANGEBOT!

Endlich wird eine weitere Lücke bei den Truppengeschichten über deutsche Panzerdivisionen geschlossen! Werner Kortenhaus, ein ehemaliger Angehöriger der Division, hat in jahrelanger Recherche alle zugänglichen Quellen ausgewertet und eine lückenlose Darstellung zusammengestellt.

Der Weg dieses Großverbands nach seiner Wiederaufstellung von den erbitterten Kämpfen nach der Landung der Alliierten in der Normandie über die Einsätze in Elsaß-Lothringen und an der Orderfront bis zum bitteren Ende im Mai 1945 im Kessel von Halbe wird exakt dokumentiert, stets unter Darstellung des strategischen Umfelds sowie mit Hilfe zahlreicher Lagekarten.

Das Buch wird voraussichtlich noch vor Weihnachten 2007 erscheinen und ca. 600 Seiten Text sowie 32 Seiten mit Fotos umfassen. Der Ladenpreis wird 35,- EURO betragen. Das Format entspricht dem des ersten Teils der Geschichte der Division während des Afrika-Einsatzes. Die Auflage ist limitiert und richtet sich im Wesentlichen nach der Nachfrage in der Subskriptionsphase.

Als treuem Kunden biete ich Ihnen bis zum 30.09.07 einen Subskriptionspreis von 29,- EURO an, vom 01.10. – 30.11.07 von 32,- EURO. Wenn Sie interessiert sind, bitte ich Sie, den Betrag auf mein Konto Nr. 808 888 800 bei der Volksbank Uelzen (BLZ 258 622 92) zu überweisen. Sofort nach Auslieferung bekommen Sie das Buch portofrei zugeschickt. Bitte teilen Sie mir auch die genaue Lieferadresse mit!

Kontakt:
Fax: (0581) 16598 Email: s(at)schneider-w.de
Jan-Hendrik
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Damn, I could not EDIT my post...21.Panzerdivision 1943-1945 was meant :roll:

:[]

Jan-Hendrik
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Christopher Shores, "Fighters over Tunisia" would be appreciated, though heard it might be broken into several small SB books.

Also Klaus Patzwall's book on the Blood Order would sell well I'm sure.

Would be nice if Biblio Verlag continued with the KC and Army Generals books, though they would be new and not reprints.
kanzel
Supporter

Out of print

Post by kanzel »

But readily available for a buck or so.

I've had some of my books since the mid 1950's and on occasion I'll read one cover to cover again. I've just gone through the trilogy by Theodor Plievier, Moscow, Stalingrad, and berlin. Those books are written as novels, but some of the events are factual and I've seen quite a few in later books. So, I looked up the author on the Web and here's his bio:

Plievier served in battle with the German High Seas Fleet in WW-I.
"After Hitler took power in 1933 and his books were burned Plievier emigrated to France, and later to Sweden, before settling finally in the USSR. After the outbreak of World War II, Plievier gained access to the front lines where he observed the carnage wrought there and interviewed captive German soldiers. In 1943 he became a member of Nationalkomitee Freies Deutschland ((National Committee for a Free Germany)." After the war he became disenchanted with Communism and fled to the West.

These are selling for next to nothing, so next time you're making a purchase see if the seller has one of his books and throw in into your order.
nino
Supporter

Re: Out-of-print book updates

Post by nino »

I choose Lukasz Hirszowicz' "The Third Reich and the Arab East" and Alexander Dallin's "German Rule in Russia".
Ross Hackett

Post by Ross Hackett »

I am after a book called ILL USED INFANTRY by Fretter Pico published by Shelf regards Ross
Ross Hackett
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Good luck. I don't think it was ever published. Shelf intended to produce a whole series of chiefly German-language books for the English market; they produced perhaps a dozen (SS Heimwehr Danzig, Feldherrnhalle and others).

I don't think they're still going as I've not seen anything from them in years. I remember having a chat with a military history book dealer in Halifax's Peace Hall a good ten years ago; he showed me the list of books Shelf planned and it was pretty comprehensive, but I guess the market wasn't there.

Fretter-Pico's memoirs are still available in German, but expect to pay in excess of £25 plus P&P for them.
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Ross Hackett

Post by Ross Hackett »

According to Landmark it was published but the owner admits it was a long time since he saw a copy its a bit conflicting some say yes it was published some say no its all a bit confusing :shock:
Ross Hackett
Lexxx
Supporter

Post by Lexxx »

Turning Point by P.P. Popov, A.V. Kozlov, and B.G. Usik has been republished by Leaping Horseman Books in English. This was one of the first eyewitness histories to the Battle of Stalingrad published in Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union. Accordingly, the authors felt no need to subscribe to the official Soviet version of events.

The book is available from Leaping Horseman's website:

http://www.leapinghorseman.com/proddeta ... 7669&cat=5

In the interest of full disclosure, I wrote the Foreword to the book, but I have no financial interest in its publication.

From the publisher:

Authors: P.P. Popov, A.V. Kozlov & B.G. Usik
Rarely do Westerners gain an understanding of the Russian perspective of the battle. While a flurry of translated memoirs by senior commanders like Zhukov and Chuikov in the 1960s and 1970s provided a higher level point-of-view, very little has been reported in English about how the fighting affected ordinary Russian soldiers and civilians. Retired Colonel Anatoli Venediktovich Kozlov, a participant in the battle and section chairman of Volgograd city’s veterans’ council, realised it was imperative to record the accounts of the few remaining veterans before time inevitably claimed them all. Glasnost has enabled these veterans to provide a more candid account of their experiences than if they had been interviewed during the Communist era. Kozlov’s wish was for this book to be available to Westerners… and now it is.
The book is divided into two distinct parts, each describing a different aspect of the Stalingrad battle. In Part 1, titled “On the Southern Approaches to Stalingrad”, Popov writes about a sector often overshadowed by dramatic events further north. Long before the Germans approached Stalingrad, tens of thousands of its citizens were put to work erecting defences around the city and in doing so endured unbelievable hardship. The southern district of Krasnoarmeysk was soon struck by the full might of Hoth’s panzer army in August 1942. Popov explores the district’s preparations, defence and retribution in detail.
In Part 2, “From Beyond the Don to the Volga”, Kozlov and Usik explore the better known aspects of the battle by way of rivetting first-hand accounts. It begins with the battle in the great bend of the Don, an armoured clash in the hot dusty steppe which resulted in Kozlov losing his entire tank unit. The fighting then moves into the streets of Stalingrad and we discover how the brutal struggle was viewed by Red Army soldiers and scores of civilians remaining in the city. The book concludes with the victorious November counteroffensive and eventual destruction of Paulus’s 6. Armee in the Stalingrad pocket.
Russians are proud of their victory at Stalingrad, and justifiably so, but only by reading the veterans’ own words can this source of pride even be begun to be comprehended.

• 264 pages
• A5 format
• Hardcover only
• Several photos, maps and aerial photos
• Index

Part One: On the Southern Approaches to Stalingrad

Chapter 1:
Everything for the Front! (page 2)

Chapter 2:
Not One Step Backward! (page 23)

Chapter 3:
Retribution (page 95)

Part Two: From Beyond the Don to the Volga

Chapter 4:
Battle in the Great Bend of the Don (page 146)

Chapter 5:
Defence of Stalingrad (page 171)

Chapter 6:
Stalingrad Cauldron (page 209)

Epilogue:
Lessons of the Battle (page 223)
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

I would love to see reprints and translation of these books:

1. The Last Secret: Forcible Repatriation to Russia 1944-47 (1974) by Nicholas Bethell

2. Vebrechen am Deutschen Volk (1969?) by Erich Kern

3. Deutsche und Kalmyken 1942 bis 1945 by Joachim Hoffmann (1977)

4. Die Ostlegionen 1941 bis 1943 by Joachim Hoffmann (1981)

5. Kaukasien 1942/43 by Joachim Hoffmann (1991)

6. Die Geschichte der Wlassow Armee by Joachim Hoffmann (1984)

Panzermahn
Nicolai
Supporter

Post by Nicolai »

JJF seems to be planning to get the two first (possibly the third as well?) volumes of Rudolf Lehmann's Leibstandarte series back into print. Emailed him about it and he said that they'd probably get around to it in a year or so, when the economic situation improves.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Before he reprints, would be nice if Fedorowicz first finished "Das Reich" and Polizei Division. One has already taken longer than it took Weidinger to write. The other has already been long enough since volume 1, time to finish the 2nd volume.
Uncle Joe
Enthusiast

Post by Uncle Joe »

Well Mark, the second volume of In Good Faith was announced several weeks ago by JJF and very soon after on feldgrau as well. It might be better to check things first before yapping out personal vendettas.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Not a "vandetta" but my apology for missing the recent post after some 6 years waiting.

And "Das Reich" still incomplete after 18 years since volume 1 released. A bit "much."