Out-of-print book updates

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Re: Out-of-print book updates

Post by John P. Moore »

Uncle Joe said "yapping out personal vendettas" and he has just earned himself a formal warning for continuing to insult fellow members, a moderator in this case.
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Anyone know the whereabouts I can find these books at a reasonable price??

Moscow Tram Stop,
Hitlers Spanish Legion: The Blue Division in Russia

I have searched the sites and found copies that I would need to refinance my house to buy......maybe someone has a copy they are willing part with?

Dan
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Rohrbach
Supporter

Post by Rohrbach »

Hi,

Don't know about Moscow Tram Stop, but you can buy a paperback re=print version of "Hitler's Spanish Legion" from Hailer Publishing for $29.99. It can be bought direct from hailerpublishing.com or through amazon.

Rohrbach
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Thank you.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

sniper1shot wrote:Anyone know the whereabouts I can find these books at a reasonable price??

Moscow Tram Stop,
I have searched the sites and found copies that I would need to refinance my house to buy......maybe someone has a copy they are willing part with?
Dan
Moscow Tram Stop is a book desperately in need of reprinting - particularly when a battered reading copy is selling for over £200. :shock: The German edition, Endstation Moskau, is readily available (under £10 second hand) and frequently reprinted. And it's an excellent read in either language. :[]
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Richard Hargreaves wrote:
sniper1shot wrote:Anyone know the whereabouts I can find these books at a reasonable price??

Moscow Tram Stop,
Dan
Moscow Tram Stop is a book desperately in need of reprinting - particularly when a battered reading copy is selling for over £200. :shock: The German edition, Endstation Moskau, is readily available (under £10 second hand) and frequently reprinted. And it's an excellent read in either language. :[]
Is this Endstation Moskau was authored by Dr. Heinrich Harpe, one of the dentist serving in the 4th Army during the Battle of Moscow, 1941?

Panzermahn
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

I know he was a Dr but always thought he was a surgeon not a dentist.
Yes, I believe it is Harpe.

I had a chance to pick this book up last year, for $300US but thought it was a little steep in price.
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

The casualty register made depressing reading that night. There had never been so many names to enter. 14th December was a black day for the 3rd battalion. 182 casualties, dead or wounded or frostbitten; in one afternoon we had lost more men than in the whole of the Russian campaign up to that point. But the 'suicide battalion' had held out for many valuable hours against the Siberian hordes.

It was nearly midnight before I finished and was able to get back to the battle-post. By 3 am, all seriously wounded men had been evacuated to the rear areas. The panje wagons had kept up a constant shuttle service and the drivers...had worked heroically through the unbearably cold night. Towards dawn I was awakened from a light sleep by Muller who said, “There are cries from the wood in front of us. They sound like cries for help.” Cautiously, with guns at the ready, we crunched through the snow towards the wood. It might be a trap. The cries became louder and more pleading. “For God's sake, help me someone! Where is everyone? For God's sake come and help me.”

At the fringe of the wood we saw a figure staggering towards us, his arms outstretched. He did not seem to see us. We called out to him: “What's the matter?” Aaah, he screamed, “come and help me. I can't see. They've gouged out my eyes.”

In a few strides we were at his side and shone a torch on his face. Where his eyes had been only two bloody holes; bits of flesh hung on his cheekbones and the blood had streamed down his face and frozen there. He was an artilleryman – one of four men who had gone out to lay telephone wires to an observation point beyond our position.

"We weren't expecting to see any Russians, he said, then suddenly several shots and the other three dropped in the snow. I ran back the way we had come - straight into the arms of the Russians. They grabbed hold of me and dragged me along....I shouted for help and one of them told me to keep quiet....he spoke broken German....but I kept on calling for help. Then they said something to each other and threw me to the ground. One of them come at me with a knife....There was a terrific flash of light, a sharp pain and then the same with my other eye....then total darkness. The man who had hissed at me in broken German grabbed my arm and whispered into my ear....'There, go straight forward to your brothers, the other German dogs and tell them we'll destroy them all. We'll cut out their eyes and send what's left to Siberia - that will be Stalin's revenge. Now get going.' And he gave me a push and I heard them run away through the snow."
Heinrich Happe, Moscow Tram Stop: A Doctor's Experience with the German Spearhead in Russia (London: Collins 1957) pp. 226-229.

Hi Sniper1shot

I think his name was Dr. Heinrich Haape, not Harpe. Apologies for the original mistake. Here are some extracts I had from his book (I don't own this book, but I found these extracts used in another book)
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

I see still no Das Reich vol. 5 (early 2009 on his site) and no Polizei Division volume 2 from Fedorowicz.

If he finds them so low a profit compared to printing 20 books on Tiger tanks, give the rights to Schiffer or some other publisher who will finish before the owners of the first volume(s) are deceased.

A bit much to wait. this long, Weidinger wrote them faster.
Imad
Contributor

Post by Imad »

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on "Daedalus Returned"?
Cry 'havoc' and let slip... the dogs of war
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Good luck on that. Even the reprint is going for over £35/$60. The original sells regularly for over £100. :shock: It is a very good book, but it ain't worth that. :[]
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Mark C Yerger wrote:I see still no Das Reich vol. 5 (early 2009 on his site) and no Polizei Division volume 2 from Fedorowicz.

If he finds them so low a profit compared to printing 20 books on Tiger tanks, give the rights to Schiffer or some other publisher who will finish before the owners of the first volume(s) are deceased.

A bit much to wait. this long, Weidinger wrote them faster.
Hi Mark,

Pardon me for my ignorance, isn't Otto Weidinger wrote the Das Reich dvisional history? Wasn't Weidinger had passed away? Who else owned the first volume?

Panzermahn
pimberg
Supporter

Post by pimberg »

Hi Panzermahn,

I think you misunderstood Mark. Weidinger, the author, has sadly passed away. It is the "owners" (the buyers/readers) Mark is alluding to.
Anyway, I believe the 17th SS Pz. Gr. Div. Götz von Berlichingen 3 volume set by Munin Verlag and Schild Verlag are a must for translation. There is still so much valuable stuff to distributed in English rather than continually churning out Tiger books.

Peter
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

HI Peter

Thanks for the clarification.

Panzermahn
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Could Schiffer do translations for books like Joachim Hoffmann's series on Caucasian, Osttrupen and Cossacks? I would love to see a translation of Erich Kern's General von Pannwitz und seine Kosaken