Book Sources - Online and Real World

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

SkyPilot

Source for used, out of print and hard to find books

Post by SkyPilot »

TORPEDO JUNCTION is another good source for used, out of print and hard to find Submarine/U-boat and Naval books at: http://www.sonic.net/~books Many new, used and out of print titles listed.
SkyPilot
Takeoffs are optional ...... landings are mandatory!
Yerger

Post by Yerger »

Articles of War, huge selection and many of the titles that are hard to find in the US I get from them.

http://articlesofwar.com/
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I can second that. I've known the folks at Articles of War since the early 1990s when they were located in Skokie, Illinois near Wisconsin where I lived at the time. They have long sinced moved to New Mexico and I hear they have a spectacular warehouse/store that you can visit by special request. The owner (Bob) was always very helpful to me in my searches and I greatly enjoyed my monthly trips to his shop. I'd frequently spend 4 or 5 hours browing after which I'd stop at a spectacular Jewish bakery across the street for the best onion bagels, veggie creamcheese, and pickles I've had anywhere. Damn that brings back memories.
vkun
Supporter

Post by vkun »

Is there a military history bookstore in Ottawa/ Canada? I will be there on a business trip in a few month.
JR
Supporter

angelray bookstore

Post by JR »

I have been off the internet for a year and was wondering if "Angelray Bookstore" is still out of busines s?
Joan Rebecca
Yuri
Supporter

Re: Book Sources - Online and Real World

Post by Yuri »

Greetings, guys!
Your help is necessary.
Whether there is at somebody from you a book:
Schwarz E. Die Stabilisierung der Ostfront nach Stalingrad: Mansteins Gegenschlag zwischen Donez u. Dnjepr im Fruhj. 1943. - Gottingen; Zurich: Muster-Schmidt-Verl., 1986. - 348 S.

I study a situation in February, 1943 in region near a Sinelnikovo and Slavgorod -It near Zaporozhye where there was Manstein's headquarters and where there has arrived on February, 17 A. Hitler.
Whether is not present in this books of maps on a situation in region Sinelnikovo and Slavgorod?
These were culminations of advancement of units of Red Army in the course of the counteroffensive which have begun in Stalingrad 19.11.42.
Would be extremely grateful for the help!

Success all in your undertakings!

Yuri.
vkun
Supporter

Re: Book Sources - Online and Real World

Post by vkun »

I have the earliest edition from 1981. Unfortunately there are only hand-drawn maps in scales 1: 1.000.000 and 1: 2.000.000 with no details at all. A few arrows designated "IV Gd S.K" ("Panzergruppe POPOW") pointing to the southwest towards Pavlograd/ Sinelnikovo, that's it.
genstab
Contributor

Re:

Post by genstab »

Tom Houlihan wrote:If you're looking for a particular title, try http://www.abebooks.com
Someone found one for me last week, so I went on there. You can get used books for really low prices. The one I got ran from $8-$40. For research, all I'm worried about it being able to read it, so I got the $8 one!
Ah heck, I just noticed Tom H. posted this- my man in Michigan.

Abebooks is owned by Amazon. The previous email mentioning www.addall.com is much more handy and comprehensive- it incorporates Amazon, Abebooks, Alibris (one of the best and most honest in my opinion- if you get a book that's not as described they rescind the charges without having to return it- Amazon has a customer protection policy also), Biblio, Half.com (has a customer protection policy in paying through Paypal), large bookstores such as BooksaMillion, the Strand in NYC and Powells, etc. You can often beat Amazon's prices if you look on Addall. If you don't buy any book described as less than Very Good you'll get quality books.

I haven't read through all posts here but the Edward Hamilton remainder house in Connecticut (www.hamiltonbook.com) should be mentioned. EVERY book goes out of print sooner or later and you can get them in new condition from Hamilton for ridiculously low prices (the highest prices are usually for art and military history books but not all of them by far). I have dealt with them since 1984 and bought literally hundreds of books. They're 100% honest- if I accidentally pay a dollar short on a mail order they send the books anyway and tell me, or if I pay a dollar or so over they send me a refund check. You can sign up for mail catalogs on their website. The best thing about the catalogs is it states with every book description the number of pages so you can figure if it's worth it, and whether it's hardcover or paperback. They do give discounts on some new books also (indicated with a star before the title). You can order online but it costs a nominal extra fee. Also, the shipping charge is a flat $3.50 (it was $3 for years) no matter how many books you order! If they accidentally send a wrong book you don't have to return it; just donate it and they'll send you the correct one. The monthly general catalog lists all new arrivals in the front- most of the catalog- and after that they're in sections by genre, so you only have to read the new arrivals each month. There is a separate military history catalog which comes out about every three or four months, as well as a general history and a biography catalog. They also do DVDs.
Best,
Bill in Cleveland
Best regards,
Genstab

Where liberty dwells, there is my country.