Books on the LSSAH

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

sskev

Books on the LSSAH

Post by sskev »

:D Hi

Can anybody recommend the best books to read on the LSSAH for images,accuracy,etc. also can you recommend any DVD,Video on the same subject showing the early Party days, March Pasts etc and actual Combat Footage.

Many Thanks

sskev :D
sskev

Post by sskev »

Cheers Guys

Thanks for the replies :?
Jake
Contributor

Post by Jake »

Hi sskev

I'm no special LSSAH fan or expert, but since no one else has replied, here goes ...

As a broad intro -
Butler, R - 'SS-Leibstandarte: The History of the First SS Division 1934-1945'
Sharpe, M & Davis, B - 'Leibstandarte: Hitler's Elite Bodyguard'
Walther, H - 'The 1st SS Panzer Division' A Pictorial History

For much more detail and accuracy there's the multi-volume history of the division by two former members Rudolf Lehmann and Ralf Tiemann entitled 'The Leibstandarte' . Each volume is fairly expensive and I'm not certain the whole series is available in English yet, but if the LSSAH is your interest then these books are a must-have.

Other good books are -
Fischer, T - 'The SS-Panzer-Artillerie Regiment 1 Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler, 1940-1945'
Mooney, P - 'Dietrich's Warriors: The History of the 3. Kompanie, 1st Panzergrenadier Regiment, 1st SS Panzer Division Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler in World War II'
Nipe, G & Spezzano, R - 'Platz der Leibstandarte: The SS Panzer-Grenadier Division LSSAH and the Battle of Kharkov'
Agte, P - 'Michael Wittmann and the Tiger Commanders of the Leibstandarte'
Tiemann, R - 'Chronicle of the 7. Panzer-Kompanie, 1. SS-Panzer Division "Leibstandarte" '
Quassowski, H (ed.) - 'Twelve Years with Hitler: A History of 1. Kompanie Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler 19933-1945'

As far as DVDs and videos, I'm not aware of anything in particular but if you check the International Historic Films website (http://www.IHFfilm.com) they have a good amount of Nazi propaganda films showing marches and rallies, and for combat footage the complete series of German newsreels from WW2 are available. You could look for the ones including coverage of actions the LSSAH was involved in and just get those.

Hope this helps

Regards
Jake
sskev

Post by sskev »

:D Jake,

Many thanks for that, I did think that after i originally posted that it was a request that has been asked many many times before, hence the wall of silence, but I am quite new to all this so thought it was the right thing to do. Again many thanks for the info.

sskev :D
Ridgeback
Supporter

Post by Ridgeback »

Ref some of the above comments. All of the 5 volumes of the Leibstandarte history have been translated into English by Fedorowicz, although the first 2 are out of print Fedorowicz do plan a reprint in the next year or so. "Michael Wittmann and the Tiger Commanders" is oop but again a reprint is in the pipeline.

I found that Mooneys "Dietrichs Warriors" about the 3 Kompanie of the LSSAH contained a lot of info taken from the 5 volume Divisional history. "Jochen Peiper" by Patrick Agte is a very good book which I think is well worth reading.

My personal opinion is that Butlers book on the LSSAH is not worth bothering with, its reasonably priced but thats about as far as it goes really.

The Quassowski book is superb as is Ralf Tiemanns. Platz der Liebstandarte is excellent. Also worth a look is Grenadiers by Kurt Meyer, there are lots of books out there on the Leibstandarte its just a case of looking and if in doubt about any book ask on here as I'm sure there will be someone who has read it.

Good Luck
Martin
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
I have to agree ith Ridgeback as to the quality of Rupert Butler's LAH book specifically and all his books in general. I hav read the LAH book and found it riddled with errors ( ref is made at one point of a 73d Pz Div).
I have scanned several of his other books and they all seem to be of the same low quality.

I have read the Lehmann/ Tiemann 5 Volume unit history and would have to recommmend it as the best reference on the LAH, even if it is in some cases somewhat biased toward that unit as all unit histories are.

Regards,

Helmut
sskev

Post by sskev »

Jake,Martin & Helmut,

Many thanks for that, sorry I did not get back to you sooner

Chers

sskev :D :D :D
Ridgeback
Supporter

Post by Ridgeback »

Hey Kev, where in East Yorkshire are you?
sskev

Post by sskev »

Hi Ridgeback,

Near Hull ?

sskev :wink: :D
Jake
Contributor

Post by Jake »

I'm in Yorkshire myself, fellas - WEST Yorkshire.

Small world, eh? Or maybe just a very big county!!

Regards
Jake
JEROME Georges
Supporter

Post by JEROME Georges »

My favourite book upon LAH at pictural level is

ALBUM HISTORIQUE EDITIONS HEIMDAL (french)
Georges Bernage, Jean Claude PERRIGAULT, Ronald Mc NAIR, Herbert WALTHER

LEIBSTANDARTE SS
La garde personnelle d'adolf Hitler au combat

528 pages over 1000 pictures

JG