Drama between Budapest & Vienna - Fedorowicz

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Uncle Joe
Enthusiast

Re: Drama between Budapest & Vienna - Fedorowicz

Post by Uncle Joe »

Kelvin, the aim of Maier´s book is completely different from Kamen´s book and thus should not and can not be compared head-to-head! And tovaritsh kommissar, the book is not dry to read! I find it much more enjoyable than e.g. Nipe´s Last Victory or Decision in the Ukraine.
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Kelvin, Uncle Joe is one of my dearest friends, but that doesn't mean he has any taste. I think sometimes he could be stuck in the Sahara and still not think it a dry place as long as he could count the scorpions.............. :wink:

Anyone who thinks Nipe's "Last Victory" is dry and "Drama Between Budapest and Vienna" isn't, is truly working form a deck without 52 cards.

No offense, Uncle Joe, just being real here.

Bestens,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

In the interest of civility, I should point out that I find Nipe and Maier both entertaining in their own way. Nipe finds clarity in using the academic style of telling you what he is going to tell you, then telling it in detail, and then recapping it. Maier I admire for his candor, for the way he openly discusses issues. I find pleasure in reading both books, even if neither Nipe nor Maier is a Franz Kurowski ;-)
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

Marc Rikmenspoel wrote:In the interest of civility, I should point out that I find Nipe and Maier both entertaining in their own way. Nipe finds clarity in using the academic style of telling you what he is going to tell you, then telling it in detail, and then recapping it. Maier I admire for his candor, for the way he openly discusses issues. I find pleasure in reading both books, even if neither Nipe nor Maier is a Franz Kurowski ;-)
Hi, Marc, what are you mean on your last sentence ?
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Kurowski is frequently criticized on both Feldgrau and AHF, so I made a joke that Nipe and Maier are not as good writers as Kurowski. I was just adding a moment of levity to the often grim topic of WW2 discussion.
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

Hi, Marc, I agree with your point. His book really not so good but he still can produce many books, over 20 ? :D
Uncle Joe
Enthusiast

Post by Uncle Joe »

Ahh, my dear David hasn´t recovered yet from the euphoria of BHO´s victory :D Last time I checked, my deck had actually 54 cards! I still stand by my comment that Nipe´s narrative is way overrated and Maier´s way underrated. Nipe´s text would be much better IF he used personal accounts "as is", instead of converting them into third person narrative that I consider the worst possible mistake. To Nipe´s defence one may say that he does not fall into the trap of getting poetic like Rob Kershaw.

I think many authors should see and learn how Dr. Mauno Jokipii did it in his magisterial history of the Finnische Freiwillige Bataillon. His main narrative is very well written and he uses plenty of personal accounts and diary extracts "as is", without making Nipe´s and Nash´s mistake plus he also offers analysis of the sources through careful comparison. For example, though careful comparative analysis he judges Sakari Lappi-Seppälä´s memoirs (lappi-Seppälä was an ex-FFB vet who turned Communist when he wrote the book) as "caricature".
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Ahh, my dear David hasn´t recovered yet from the euphoria of BHO´s victory :D Last time I checked, my deck had actually 54 cards!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ah, that was a fair hit, my Finnish Brother. Just remember, two of those cards are Jokers.... :wink:

Bestens,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
drGreen

Post by drGreen »

Uncle Joe wrote:... I find it much more enjoyable than e.g. Nipe´s Last Victory or Decision in the Ukraine.
Decision in the Ukraine is one of my fav's :evil:

Anyways,

I've receive my copy of Drama between Budapest & Vienna yesterday when I got home from work and couldn't stop reading :[] . The book was a missing piece in my collection :up:

Regards,

Sander