Best books about Allied soldiers?

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Ironman

Best books about Allied soldiers?

Post by Ironman »

I like anything by Ambrose. "Another river, another town" is an excellent choice. "Footsoldier" is also very good, sorry, but the authors names escape me.
History never seems to teach men, only justify their ambitions
Lipton

Post by Lipton »

My favorite ones are Band of Brothers and Citizen Soldiers.
Jexter

Post by Jexter »

S. Heym "Crusaders" :) don't be confused about the name of the book... :) A very good book... recomended to everyone :)
You hit somebody with your fist and not with your fingers spread... (Heinz Guderian)
mikerock
Contributor

Post by mikerock »

"With the Jocks" by Peter White
Wiking5th
Contributor

Post by Wiking5th »

There are so many of them:
"Devil In Baggy Pants - Ross Carter
"Company Commander"- Charles McDonald - a classic
Donald Burgetts - 3 tities on his time in the 101st from Bening to the Alps
"Road to Huertgen" by Boesch
"Helmet for my Pillow" by Leckie

The list just goes on. I could give 50 titles on just common GI stories plus a couple of good Canadian and British titles.

Wiking5th
mikerock
Contributor

Post by mikerock »

Wiking, I'd like to hear about those Canadian titles if you don't mind.
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

I really like Ken Tout's books on the British Army in Normandy and beyond, such as A Fine Night For Tanks (Totalize), The Bloody Battle For Tilly, and In the Shadow of Arnhem (I still need to get Raods to Falaise).
Wiking5th
Contributor

Post by Wiking5th »

Mike, There us a triology called "With The Guns" by George G. Blackburn
Guns of Victory, Guns of Normanday, Where the Hell Are The Guns

WWI - "Ghosts Have WarM Hands by Will F. Bird - very good

Hope you find some of these to your liking,
Wiking5th
Wiking5th
Contributor

Post by Wiking5th »

Mike, There us a triology called "With The Guns" by George G. Blackburn
Guns of Victory, Guns of Normanday, Where the Hell Are The Guns

WWI - "Ghosts Have WarM Hands by Will F. Bird - very good

Hope you find some of these to your liking,
Wiking5th
mikerock
Contributor

Post by mikerock »

Thanks Wiking5th
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Wiking - I'd certainly agree with your calls - Ross Carter's book is a long time favorite and McDonald of course is great.

I haven't seen "Helmet for my Pillow" in years but loved it as a kid.

My own additions:

"Brazen Chariots" (a south african officer in 4th Brit Armd Bde - Crusader)

"The Bloody Battle of Tilly" by Ken Tout

And as always - "Caen: Anvil of Victory" by Alex McKee. Very good first person stuff from Brit and Cnd (as well as German) soldiers.

There is a minor classic called "The Beardless Warriors" about young US conscripts that I can highly reccomend as well.

cheers
Reb
Wiking5th
Contributor

Post by Wiking5th »

Reb, I agree with how good Ross Carter's book is. I have kept my paperback1960's version as a treasure. Had to threaten my oldest son with bodly harm when he wanted to read it if he messed up one page. (I had Devils Inferno I & II about the "Waffen SS' in Viet Nam - he destoryed both of them he read them so many times. I have seen those on Ebay going for over $200 a piece!!) Anyway, I treated myself to a new copy when it was repinted in hard back last year.

Tell me more on "Anvil..." I have looked at it several times, but can't make my mind up about it. Also, what about "Beardless Warriors" - not run across that one before?

Thanks,
Wiking5th
Wiking5th
Contributor

Post by Wiking5th »

Reb, I agree with how good Ross Carter's book is. I have kept my paperback1960's version as a treasure. Had to threaten my oldest son with bodly harm when he wanted to read it if he messed up one page. (I had Devils Inferno I & II about the "Waffen SS' in Viet Nam - he destoryed both of them he read them so many times. I have seen those on Ebay going for over $200 a piece!!) Anyway, I treated myself to a new copy when it was repinted in hard back last year.

Tell me more on "Anvil..." I have looked at it several times, but can't make my mind up about it. Also, what about "Beardless Warriors" - not run across that one before?

Thanks,
Wiking5th
Wiking5th
Contributor

Post by Wiking5th »

Darn that double post. Don't know how I keep doing that. My apologizies.
Wiking5th
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Wiking

"Caen: Anvil of Victory" is the one must have book about Normandy. Told mostly through first person accounts of Brit, Cnd and German soldiers by a guy was there it contains some of the best battle narrative I've ever read. Remarkably balanced. McKee's account of Le Mesnil - Patry has a classic line: "The regimental history notes primly that 'touch with the squadron was lost' It wasn't the 'touch' that was lost - it was the squadron..."

His account of a pzJager (pak40) platoon at Caumont fighting tanks and getting hammered by typhoons is something - he certainly doesn't glorify war but damn sure can tell a story. Most of that episode is told by a young German NCO from 2nd Pz Div. Some of the stuff about 502 SS sPz Abt was quoted later in Will Fey's "SS Armour Battles" and is by a young German Tiger crewman - first rate stuff about Hill 112.

First book I ever read that plainly spoke of allied war crimes. My copy fell apart and was secured by a rubber band until I found another copy recently. Also released as "Last Round Against Rommel."

If you buy it and read it you'll thank me I assure you! I just sent my frazzeled old copy to my brother who is very glad I did!

"Beardless Warriors" is a minor classic of fiction - telling of an 18 year recruit who is totally clueless and finds himself in battle - apparently about the time and place of Nordwind. Its quite compelling - very good charactierizations and the combat scenes speak of confusion, fear and the lost feeling of a new replacement finding his way in war. Everybody is cold, tired and scared - the enemy are terrifying and they have no idea what the battle is about - only that they are to attack or retreat and people are trying to kill them all the time. (which I guess - is what war is about)

We all read that Devil's Guard thing when I was in the army - often wondered how much of it was true - having met a number legionaires I have to give it the benefit of the doubt. It was at a party with some of those guys that I learned to sing "Wir Salen Gegen Engeland!"

cheers
Reb