Any Good Books Covering Metz 1944?

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

John W. Howard

Any Good Books Covering Metz 1944?

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello:
Does anyone know of any good books about the fighting around Metz in 1944? Prefer books in English, German, or French. Thank you.
John W. Howard
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Heimdal have done one entitled "Metz '44".

It's in French/English. Good but not the definitive article.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
John W. Howard

Heimdal

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Simon:
My local bookstore actually has a copy of the book you are talking about. Between the time I posted, and your post, I found it there. It is expensive and the savages at the shop have managed to break the binding!!! So, I am not sure if I will spend the money for it; it looked very nice though. I am glad you told me about it though; if my highly commercialized local bookstore had not ordered a copy, I would not have known about it until your post; I about passed-out when I saw it on the shelf!!!! Thanks for the heads-up. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Hello John,

Yes, I blanched slightly when I was told the price so I've put a copy on my next birthday list!!

Were you looking for anything in particular regarding fighting around Metz?

Regards
Simon
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Chris
Supporter

A booktitle

Post by Chris »

Hi John

Maybe this title could be of interest to you!?
The Unknown Battle: Metz, 1944 by Anthony Kemp. (Stein and Day, 1980, (Book Club Ed.)). I have not read it yet, so I can't comment on the quality of it, sorry.

Regards
Chris
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
John W. Howard

Metz

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Simon and Chris:
My interest in Metz has mainly to do with the German units which fought there. Several of them went on to fight in Alsace( 17SS PzGrD, 25PzGrD, 36ID, 21PzD, 553ID), or had fought in Alsace (11PzD). Many of the commanders were the same, so it seemed like a good place to get some backround info. I think Heimdal published a book about the battle for Alsace at one time, but I have been unable to find a copy of it; it would be fun to look at.
Chris: thank you very much for the title of the book; I had no idea there was one out there and will see if I can track down a copy!!! It is in English no less, which makes it even better!!! Thanks much. Best wishes to both of you.
John W. Howard
Robert Westby
Supporter

Post by Robert Westby »

John, you have probably already seen it but the US Army Center for Military History has put entire books from their "US Army in World War 2" series online; here is a link to "The Lorraine Campaign" covering the Metz battle.
Robert Westby
Supporter

Post by Robert Westby »

Ill actually include the link this time :)
http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwii/l ... ntent.html
John W. Howard

Robert

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Robert:
Thanks for reminding me Robert; I had completely forgotten about the official histories. I am going to have to start making lists; the little grey cells are not as limber as they used to be!!!! It's great the CMH did that; it will help a lot. Thanks again.
John W. Howard
webmastersignal

Post by webmastersignal »

Hello
Heimdal have three books on Lorraine/Alsace battles :

Metz 1944, new for 58 euros

La Bataille d’ Alsace 1944-45, album memorial - Heimdal 1992

Lorraine Album memorial 1984

This two books are very very rare and very expansive minimum : 100-150 euros each
John W. Howard

Alsace Books

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Web...:
Thank you for the information you provided!! No wonder I have been having a hard time finding the La Bataille d' Alsace book!! It must be rare indeed to fetch such a high price. Thank you once again. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Michael Avanzini
Supporter

Post by Michael Avanzini »

John

The new Heimdal Metz 1944 is a completely updated and revised version of the 1984 "Lorraine Album memorial" book. I have this new version and the author talks about his original book being OOP and very hard to obtain. This led him to update the original book. And Amazon has a great discount for this book.

Mike
John W. Howard

Hello Michael

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Michael:
I will check Amazon's price. Like I said above, my bookstore has a copy, but it has been brutalized by someone, and I have no desire to pay the asking price for a less than perfect copy. It looks great though. Heimdal does great work.
On a different topic: did you do the maps for John Tiller's BULGE '44? I bought a copy for Christmas and have not had too much time to play, but I thought I noticed your name somewhere. Thanks for the head's up and I will check Amazon's price ASAP. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Michael Avanzini
Supporter

Tiller's Games

Post by Michael Avanzini »

Hi John

Yes, I have done these maps for all of John's games (I think about 33 games so far). I also was the lead scenario designer of the Rzhev 42 game and the main Soviet OOB resercher for the Panzer Campaign games.

I do love working on these games. Hope you enjoy Bulge 44. The next title that will be release in March is France 40.

By the way Amazons price is $44 for the Metz book with free shipping.

Michael
John W. Howard

Wow

Post by John W. Howard »

Wow Mike!! That is great. I do like the game, although it takes some getting used to. I was used to the old game board and cardboard pieces genre, and switching to computer will take a little time. I wanted an accurate Bulge game at the battalion level, and John's game semed like my best bet. His other games look great as well, but might necessitate a computer up-grade before I purchase another!! $44 for the Heimdal book is a fantastic price, when one considers the bookstore wants $65 for their's, even in rotten condition. Take care.
John W. Howard