Book Review Again!!

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

sniper1shot

Book Review Again!!

Post by sniper1shot »

Title: Hitler's Renegades
Author: Christopher Ailsby
ISBN: 1-57488-838-2
Edited: Peter Darman
Published in US by: Brassey's Inc, Virginia
OK, this book is about the foreign nationals that fought for Germany in WWII. Each chapter is about a country on it's own IE: Russia, Denmark, Latvia etc. The chapters describe how the unit/why the unit was formed and how many ppl served in these units. About 95% of the units became SS units during the war. Also describes where the units fought, trained, and surrendered.
The last chapter describes the ultimate fate of these foreigners. Most ppl being tried by their parent countries. Tells how many died or how long ppl served in prison etc. Also decribes the British and US intolerance towards these foreigners and how they were forced to return to certain death in their former countries at the end of the war.
It is a good book if you know nothing on the foreign units in the German armed forces, but if you are studying any particular unit or a particular countries involvment, then this book will not have much for you. Each chapter briefly covers the units overall battles etc, but doesn't go into to much detail. It does list commanders, and what motivated ppl to join the German cause.
I give it a 4 out of 5 and the photos are "new" as I haven't seen them before.
Any questions, plse PM me or respond to this forum.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
nino
Supporter

Post by nino »

Hi,
Tells how many died or how long ppl served in prison etc.
Is the book told about how many 'Handzar' and 'Skanderbeg' men who were tried/dumped to Partisan prison camps?

Best Regards

Bless the people who like to help others