Yet, another good book....

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

sniper1shot

Yet, another good book....

Post by sniper1shot »

Hello all;
Finished another book.
Title: Many Rivers I Crossed
Author: Werner Volkner
ISBN: 0-954-7635-0-5
Published by Volkner
#out of 500 copies......I was lucky and also received a signed copy too.
Purchased it from http://www.aberdeenbookstore.com
5 out of 5
Author was a member of 3rd SS Div. in the anit-air units. Served mostly in Russia. Tells of his beginning, incl his youth, in Germany. Goes on w/ his training though mostly covers his time in service and in battles. Very detailed with descriptions of working with his comrades. Mostly the human side though there are some good battle descriptions....not too many.
Ends with his capture and the last many pages deals with his time as a POW and this is also very descriptive.
Good book if you are looking for the human side of the war, but not if you are looking for the "blood and guts" stories. I am looking for the human side so I gave the book 5 out of 5. Book was written for his family.
Book starts with one paragraph and ends 267 pages later. No chapters, just the authors life, paragraph by paragraph.
Good photos too.
If you are looking for more info plse contact me either through the forum or PM.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
park ranger

Thanks for the review

Post by park ranger »

Thanks for the review of the book, I had to think about spending the money for this one, and decided to give it a chance, and mailed my money order off for this one. Haven't received it yet, but I can't wait for it to arrive in the mail!
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

The script is fairly small by comparison to other books so there is A LOT of story here. I wasn't bored with the book at all, and the photos are spread throughout the book evenly.
I enjoyed it, fairly sure you will too.
Wiking5th
Contributor

Post by Wiking5th »

Thanks for the review. I did not realize such a small # printed. I will give Tom at Aberdeen a call tomorrow and hope he still has some. Thanks for the heads up.
Wiking5th
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

No problem guys. Any questions you can ask me. Hope you enjoy the book too. :D
park ranger

Great Book!

Post by park ranger »

I've just finished reading this book, and I am very impressed with it! This book ranks as one of my favorite memoirs from the German perspective in WWII. The author explains why he wanted to join one particular branch of the Wehrmacht, but failed the medical exam, and then joins the SS. He doesn't got into detail why after not making the grade in one branch why he joined the Waffen SS. He just mentions recruit training, and being assigned to the 3d Division.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book!
joefraser
Supporter

Post by joefraser »

hi,
don't know if park ranger is still on the site, but I still regularly speak with werner. The reason werner joined the s.s. was seeeing a poster of a tank as he left from being turned down by the luftwaffe. It strikes a chord with me, as I was turned down by the r.a.f. Anyway the poster just happened to be for the s.s. So it was nothing political, just a poster.