A bit lengthy -- Anyone up to tackling this one ??

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Dale
Supporter

A bit lengthy -- Anyone up to tackling this one ??

Post by Dale »

Beide Kompanieführer haben nur geringe Einsatzerfahrung nach Mitteilung des Abt.Kdr., keener das EK I. Er wollte von seiner alten Abteilung (Pz.Rgt. 36 / 16.Pz.-Div.) einige Fahrer, Panzerwarte haben. Dies wurde, da 6.Armee-Verband, abgelehnt. Ob das richtig ist, wenn man überlegt, daβ die 16. Pz.-Div. frühestens im Oktober, wahrscheinlich erst Frühjar 1944 voll einsatzbereit warden kann? Abteilungskommandeur, Ritterkreuzträger, alter Panzermann, geht mit groβer Passion an seine Aufgabe. Hat aber über Tiger-Einsatz wenig oder nichts gehört. Auf Grund der bisherigen Erfahrungen (im Flugzeug mitgeteilt) und seiner jetzt vorhanden Ausstattung wird ein Einsatz voraussichtlich im Rahmen einer Panzer-Division erfolgen.
Es ist erforderlich, mit dem Einsatz einer Tiger-Abteilung zu warten, bis 3 Kompanien mit je 14 Tigern ausgerüstet, entsprechend ausgebildet, der Kommandeur mit Einsatzgrundsätzen vertraut, den Kommandobehörden, in dessen Bereich eine Tiger-Abteilung zum Einsatz kommen soll, die Möglichkeiten des Einsatzes und die Notwendigkeiten, um den Einsatz zur besten Wirkung zu bringen, bekannt sind.
Heeresgrupper und Armee wuβten von Tigern im allgemeinen nur aus dem Völkischen Beobachter, besonders, daβ er vollkommen unverletzlich sei und wie ein Tiger (!!) 1 m starke Bäume umlegt.
Entsprechend war Einsatz vorgesehen.

2. Straβen – und Brückenerkundungen und Verbesserungen waren durch Gruppe vorausschauend vorbereitet. Man ist sehr glücklich über die Abteilung halt sie für das Rückgrat der Gruppe. Ich habe gewarnt, von der unbekannten neuen Waffe all das zu erwarten, was man von allen bekannten Waffen nicht mehr zu verlangen wagt. Dann muβ die neue Waffe enttäuschen. Zur vollen Wirkung wird und kann sie nur kommen, wenn eine Abteilung fertig ausgerüstet, voll ausgebildet und die Zusammenarbeit mit den anderen Waffen, mit denen sie zusammen kämpfen soll, drill-mäβig einexerziert ist; wenn die anderen Waffen wissen, was die neue kann.
baerchen

Re: A bit lengthy -- Anyone up to tackling this one ??

Post by baerchen »

Hello Dale ... 8)

I will give it a shot, let me know if something is unclear. My military English is kind of rusty, I am afraid.

Both platoon commanders did not have a lot of battle experience according to the commander of the unit ( not sure , it's a Abteilungskommandeur ), keer ( name ?) had the Iron Cross 1st class. he wantedto to get some drivers, maintenance guys from his old unit ( Pz.Rgt. 36 / 16.Pz.-Div). As this was part of 6th Army it was denied.
But is this correct if you consider that the 17 PzDivision earliest could become fully operational in October, but probably as late as Spring 1944 ?
Unit commander, knight's cross award winner, old tank veteran, starts his new task with great passion. He had not heard much or nothing even heard about Tiger operations before.
According to previous experience ( as communicated in the airplane ) and his current equipment ( not sure here ) his deployment will mot likely be within a tank division.
It is necessary to wait with the deployment of the Tiger unit until 3 platoons have been equipped with Tiger tanksand trained with them, the commander of the future Tiger unit is accustomed with the rules of deployment and the higher unit command levels are aware of the possibilities of engagement and optimal deployment of the tanks.

Heeresgruppen ( combined armies ) and armies knew from the Tiger force only from the Völkischer Beobachter ( a German newspaper from the 1939 to 1945 times ) in general, especially that he ( the Tiger tank ) is invincible and can break down 1m thick trees like a tiger. The deployments were planend accordingly.

2. Recon of roads and bridges and improvements were prepared forsightful by the group. One is glad about the unit and considers it to be the backbone of the group. I warned to expect all that from the new weapon which you do not dare to expect from all other known weapons. In this case the new weapon will disappoint. It can only develop it's full potential if the unit is fully equipped, fully trained and the cooperation with other army parts ( literally : weapons, but I think the writer means not the actual weapon but artillery , infantry, airforce etc ) which will fight alongside the unit has been exercised flawlessly in combat drills: if the other branches know what the new tank force can do.
Dale
Supporter

Re: A bit lengthy -- Anyone up to tackling this one ??

Post by Dale »

That is great...thank you very much for taking the time to do that translating !! I understand the military terms, so there is no problem with clarifying some of the wording.
Thanks !!
Dale