What is Allewerdern?

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Richard Hargreaves
Author

What is Allewerdern?

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Der Wind wurde immer stärker. Er wehte von Land, brachte immer mehr Sand mit sich. Wenn man weit schauen wollte, sah man alles ganz diesig. Mund, Nase, Augen und Ohren, und auf dem Kopf überall Sand. Das ist schrecklich. Es kühlte auch nicht ein bißchen ab. Die Nacht kam; ich legte mich in mein Zelt. Die Feldflasche dicht zu mir. Es war schwül, und ich geizte mit jedem Schluck Kaffee. Jeder Schluck wurde ängstlich genommen. Angst vor dem Allewerden. In der anderen Hand hatte ich eine Zitrone, an der ich ab und zu roch. Ein herrlicher Geruch gegenüber der hier immer trockenen Luft. Der heiße Ghibli riß an meinem Zelt. Das Sonnendach schlug und flatterte. Ich dachte nichts, bewegte mich nicht und konnte unter diesen Umständen nicht einschlafen.

All of which I get apart from one very brief sentence. :(

The wind grew stronger and stronger. It blew from inland, bringing with it more and more sand. If you wanted to see things a long way away, it all looked rather hazy. Sand everywhere: mouth, nose, eyes, ears and on your head. It was terrible. Nor did it cool down at all. Night came. I lay in my tent, the canteen close by my side. It was sultry and I was sparing with each swig of coffee. I drank each sip anxiously. Fear of the Allewerden. I had a lemon in my other hand, which I smelled from time to time. A wonderful smell compared with the always-dry air here. The hot ghibli tore at my tent. The awning beat and flapped. I did not think about anything, did not move and could not fall asleep under these circumstances.
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
vkun
Supporter

Re: What is Allewerdern?

Post by vkun »

"Allewerden" is a clumsy colloquial expression and means "etwas wird alle" i.e. something gets empty - here his canteen.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Ah, that I would never have got. Thanks! :D
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
kurt74

Post by kurt74 »

thats the great advantage of the german language :D you can create new words and every mothertongue knows what is meant by it. On the other hand even a native spaeker can not explain how it works ...