A little letter with which I'm struggling

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Richard Hargreaves
Author

A little letter with which I'm struggling

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

in particular the sentence in bold.

Mami, ich möchte Dir etwas schreiben, aber nicht lachen. Du weißt doch die ganze Sache steht jetzt auf der Messerspitze. Es geht jetzt doch um die Entscheidung und ich habe das Gefühl, als wenn das Messer abbricht. Der Krieg geht seinem Ende entgegen, aber ich glaube nicht für uns. Du weißt doch der Jude wird eine Blutrache nehmen, hauptsächlich an den Parteileuten. Ich war ja leider auch einer der die Parteiuniform getragen hat. Ich habe es ja schon bereut. Ich bitte Dich bringe die Uniform beiseite, ganz gleich wohin und wenn Du die ganzen Sachen verbrennst. Ich kann schon des nachts nicht mehr schlafen darum. Das macht mir solche Sorgen, das glaubst Du garnicht. Ich komme schließlich gut hier durch, das heißt, wenn ich noch nicht direkt an die Front komme. Auch Du in der Frauenschaft und der Junge in der Hitlerjugend, das sind alles solche Sachen, die ich heute ganz anders ansehe. Gewiß der Hitler hat viel geschaffen, aber auch. Ich weiß nicht, vielleicht sehe ich zu schwarz, daß ich mich doch täusche, aber es ist doch alles dran. Nun Rumänien auch noch, wo wir solche Kämpfe haben.

Which I've had a crack at as follows:

Mami, I want to write something for you but don't laugh. You know that everything right now is on a knifepoint. Right now the decision is about to fall and I have the feeling as if the knife is about to break. The war is hurtling towards its end - but not in our favour, I believe. You know the Jews will wage a blood feud, particularly against Party types. Of course I too have worn the Party uniform and I'm already regretting it.

I ask you to put the uniform to one side - with everything else when it comes to setting fire to things.

That's why I can no longer sleep at night. You have no idea how much this worries me. I'm finally getting along well here - that means that I've still not directly come into contact with the front. With you in the Frauenschaft and the boy in the Hitlerjugend - these are all things which today I view very differently. Hitler has done a great deal, but then... I don't know, maybe I view things too darkly so that I'm making a mistake, but it's still all over. Now we have to fight in Romania as well.
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Prosper Vandenbroucke
Enthusiast

Re: A little letter with which I'm struggling

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke »

Richard wrote,
I ask you to put the uniform to one side - with everything else when it comes to setting fire to things.
Hello Richard
I think that the real sense of the sentense is as follows:

I'm praying you, get away whith this uniform and set the fire on it immediately.

Hope it helps.
Sorry for my poor english but I translate the sentence from german to french and than from french to english.
Kindly regards
Prosper :wink:
vkun
Supporter

Post by vkun »

Ich bitte Dich bringe die Uniform beiseite, ganz gleich wohin und wenn Du die ganzen Sachen verbrennst.

It simply means:

Please get rid of the uniform, doesn't matter whereto, even if you will burn all the stuff.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Gentlemen many thanks - that's spot on. :up: :up: :beer:
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man