Need Help with this translation

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Maus
Supporter

Need Help with this translation

Post by Maus »

Hi everyone,

I need some assistance with this translation:

Das Antreten, die Annäherungen an die Feindstellung, der Durchbruch vollziehensich bei allen Teilen der Division mit Ausnahme des linken Flugels I.R. 209 und rechten Flugels I.R. 422 planmaßig.

Thanks in advance!

Brian B.
Maus
Supporter

Re: Need Help with this translation

Post by Maus »

and here is another one I need assistance with:

Nach dem bisherigen feindbild, das durch überläufer und gefangene bestätigt wurde, hat sich der Russe, nachdem er unseren angriff nicht aufzuhalten vermochte, auf seine stark ausgebaute, verminte und verdrahete stellung am westrande von Teremez-kurl-Janskij-Freidhof-Nördland des zweigestrichen weges rollbahn, Teremez-Kurljanskij zurückgezogen.

I am not sure about the word "verdrahete", as it it partially scribbled out.

Thank,

Brian B.
pak
Supporter

Post by pak »

Maus wrote:Das Antreten, die Annäherungen an die Feindstellung, der Durchbruch vollziehensich bei allen Teilen der Division mit Ausnahme des linken Flugels I.R. 209 und rechten Flugels I.R. 422 planmaßig.
It should traslate to someting like this:
The start, the closing on the enemy posistions and the breakthrough was successfull/went as planned for all parts of the division except the left flank of IR 209 and the right flank of IR 422.
/pak
pak
Supporter

Post by pak »

Maus wrote:Nach dem bisherigen feindbild, das durch überläufer und gefangene bestätigt wurde, hat sich der Russe, nachdem er unseren angriff nicht aufzuhalten vermochte, auf seine stark ausgebaute, verminte und verdrahete stellung am westrande von Teremez-kurl-Janskij-Freidhof-Nördland des zweigestrichen weges rollbahn, Teremez-Kurljanskij zurückgezogen.
The gist of this should be:
The enemy picture is that the russians have retreated to Teremez-Kurljanskij. It is corroborated by turncoats and prisoners. And the retreat comes after an attack (which the russians couldn't hold back) on strongly fortified positions (with mines and barbed wire) on the western edge of Teremez-kurl-Janskij-Freidhof-Nördland.

I must admit my ignorance on the expression " zweigestrichen weges rollbahn" :(
Anyone?
/pak
Maus
Supporter

Post by Maus »

Thank so much. I had been unable to come up with anything intelligible :)

Brian B.
Landserstudent
Supporter

Post by Landserstudent »

A two-lane or two-way Rollbahn/convoy.
vkun
Supporter

Post by vkun »

Basically the translation is correct.
To add a few points:

"stellung am westrande von Teremez-kurl-Janskij-Freidhof-Nördland des zweigestrichen weges rollbahn, Teremez-Kurljanskij"

in correct german this should read:

"Stellung am Westrande von Teremez-kurl-Janskij-Friedhof nördlich des zweigestrichenen Weges Rollbahn Teremez-Kurljanskij"

"Teremez-kurl-Janskij-Friedhof-nördlich des zweigestrichenen Weges Rollbahn Teremez-Kurljanskij" is the route of the russian position, i.e. those locations can be found on a map, be it towns, roads or a cemetary (Friedhof).

"zweigestrichenen Weges" is not a two way road, but it says that this road is designated by two lines ("Strich" in german) on the map (=====). "eingestrichener Weg" means designation by one line on a map (-------). It says something about the quality of the road (one line normally means a narrow dirt or gravel track). This expession is used to further clarify which road is meant, especially when there are various roads/ tracks leading from one point to the other.
IMO in the context above "Friedhof nördlich des zweigestrichenen Weges Rollbahn Teremez-Kurljanskij" means
"cemetary north of the two-line(!) road Teremez-Kurljanskij"