Even more idiomatic German

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Richard Hargreaves
Author

Even more idiomatic German

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

A snippet from Westphal's memoirs:
In der glühenden Hitze des afrikanischen Sommers würden die Briten nicht angreifen, im September würden wir kräfte- und versorgungsmäßig besser dastehen als jetzt, Rommel setze seinen Ruhm aufs Spiel und was der Argumente mehr waren
it's the final "was der Argumente mehr waren" - I'm assuming it's along the lines of: he wouldn't listen to the arguments.

The British would not attack in the blazing heat of the African summer, in September we would be stronger and in a better supply position than now, Rommel put his reputation on the line ... :[]
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
fridgeman
Supporter

Re: Even more idiomatic German

Post by fridgeman »

Is that already the end of the sentence? Does not make much sense yet, even for a native german.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

It is indeed the end.

Here's the whole segment:
Zeitweise zögerte Rommel, sich für Ende Mai zum Angriff auf Tobruk zu entschließen. Eigentlich alle - einschließlich General Gause - rieten ihm, lieber bis zum Herbst zu warten. In der glühenden Hitze des afrikanischen Sommers würden die Briten nicht angreifen, im September würden wir kräfte- und versorgungsmäßig besser dastehen als jetzt, Rommel setze seinen Ruhm aufs Spiel und was der Argumente mehr waren. Der einzige Befürworter eines möglichst baldigen Angriffs war ich. Rommel war unschlüssig, was bei ihm äußerst selten vorkam.
fridgeman
Supporter

Post by fridgeman »

Ok, finally i got the point.

As i said sometime before, my english might be not good enough to create a sentence you can copy 1 to 1 into
a publication, but i try to give you an idea what the author says ;)
Westphal talks about the reasons against an attack in may, mentioning sereval arguments like the heat
and supply situation. The last snippet "und was der Argumente mehr waren" just says, there would be even more
arguments to mention against the attack in may.

The British would not attack in the blazing heat of the African summer, in September we would be stronger and in a better supply position than now, Rommel put his reputation on the line, and even more spoke against the attack in may.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Ah now I get it. Thanks Fridgeman. :up:

It's not Rommel saying he was putting his reputation on the line - it's his staff advising him that if he attacks, his reputation is on the line... and many similar arguments. :D