I knew I would return

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Richard Hargreaves
Author

I knew I would return

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

with a little more Winkler. It's been hard going, but I've got through most of it so far. I think I've almost got this one:

Doch so eindrucksvoll und einzigartig die Landschaft sich von diesem mehr als 400 Meter hohen Beobachtungsstande auch offenbarte, erst durch das ungeheuerliche, von hier aus sichtbare Kampfgeschehen wurde sie zur Bühne für ein gigantisches Drama.

However impressive and unique the landscape appeared from this observation post more than 400 metres up, it was only the stage for an enormous drama, namely fighting on a enormous scale which was visible from here.
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Quax der Bruchpilot
Supporter

Re: I knew I would return

Post by Quax der Bruchpilot »

I have translated the sentence without prior look at your version. The second half is a lttle different and a bit closer.
The meaning is that the landscape from the warfare, which could be seen from above, turned into a stage of drama.

Doch so eindrucksvoll und einzigartig die Landschaft sich von diesem mehr als 400 Meter hohen Beobachtungsstande auch offenbarte, erst durch das ungeheuerliche, von hier aus sichtbare Kampfgeschehen wurde sie zur Bühne für ein gigantisches Drama.

But however impressive and unique the landscape presented itself from the view of this observation post in an altitude of 1200 ft, only by the terrible combat szenario, visible from here, it turned into an arena of a giant drama.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Brilliant. That works for me. :up: :up:
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Russ Schulke
Supporter

Post by Russ Schulke »

Richard Hargreaves;

PM sent to you! Russ
Image For the last 25+ years, 95% of my free time has been directed to researching and studying the Stalingrad battle.